201tc

Good to know.

So I'm the only one here who was plagued with carb issues with my 200's? You know where it starts to run lean and idle lean?

Prob just you squish..lol :D

My 200 rear handle has the prob you are talking about....some days it runs fine others its useless...I do need to get a new carb for it

I need to rebuild the carbs on my 200t's every 18 months to 2 years when they start to play up. I think in that time they have earned the tlc, but it never was a strong feature of them. The 020 carbs were more reliable, however they are a pig to tune & need constant fine adjustment it seems

Good to know.

So I'm the only one here who was plagued with carb issues with my 200's? You know where it starts to run lean and idle lean?

Absolutely I had that. I've always felt that when you need to use the carb screwdriver for a lil adjustment, thats the beginning of the end.

I need to rebuild the carbs on my 200t's every 18 months to 2 years when they start to play up. I think in that time they have earned the tlc, but it never was a strong feature of them. The 020 carbs were more reliable, however they are a pig to tune & need constant fine adjustment it seems

You can put the 020 carb on the 200s. Down side is they stopped producing them this year.

Good to know.

No you're not the only one squish. Those early MS200'S (even some newer ones) were plagued with those defective carbs right from brand new..I had 2 in a row from new like that, Zama carbs were screwing up big time. Dealer would charge me a $100.to fix the problem but not tell me they switched the carb with a new upgrade carb on warranty.
I bought my first 020T in 1995 (not the old 1970- 80's style 020 Reg likes:D) It was same design as MS200 but with screw caps. When I bought my first MS200 in 2001 it and the one I bought several years later had the major lean off idle problem.
The Zama's were good carbs as they had built in accelerator pumps which is what gave them hyper quick throttle response. They just had a serious run of defective ones with the welch plugs leaking and a few other problems depending what part of the world you ordered your 200 from.

I remember some bad carbs on the 200s. I was told the often defective ones came out of a Chinese factory while the Zama's coming out of Japan were fine. But even the good ones, that little pump wore it self out quite nicely in 1-2 years of use. Used to call that the 100 dollar fix.

Honestly when they were available I'd just get a new 200 when they started acting up. I ended up with quite a pile of them. Lol.

I send the carbs away to be sorted now. Accelerator pump replaced, Welch plug checked & full overall. I keep a spare old 200t carb kicking about for when I send them. I have 3 200's running & enough parts to build another I think. When they all die I guess I will have to deal with the newer stuff

I've never had a carb problem on my 020 or either of the 200's I have, one bought new and one is Willard's old one.
Guess I'm lucky, plugs have always been a good colour too.

So one of my ported 200s just stared idling high which got me to looking what sparres I have. Found a brand new never fueled 200. It's dirty as it's mine, but do I try to sell it for big bucks and get a 201 or send it out to get fixed up ?????

My new 201 TC has been great. Like Reg stated it needs a bit more power but it's definatly much better than its previous models. It has been pretty consistent for me. I can adjust for the saw as long as it runs the same every day. The only problem that I've found is that my air filter is not sealing properly. I've been finding wet saw dust in the bottom right corner under the cover. Going to show it to the dealer Friday afternoon. That's the day I get done at a decent hour and they are open late. It's bothering me a bit.

So one of my ported 200s just stared idling high which got me to looking what sparres I have. Found a brand new never fueled 200. It's dirty as it's mine, but do I try to sell it for big bucks and get a 201 or send it out to get fixed up ?????

Do you use the saw yourself? If so get the 200T fixed up, if not then trade it in for a 201T

. The only problem that I've found is that my air filter is not sealing properly. I've been finding wet saw dust in the bottom right corner under the cover. Going to show it to the dealer Friday afternoon.

Mines doing the same. It's like the filter housing is warped a bit .

I remember some bad carbs on the 200s. I was told the often defective ones came out of a Chinese factory while the Zama's coming out of Japan were fine. But even the good ones, that little pump wore it self out quite nicely in 1-2 years of use. Used to call that the 100 dollar fix.
The little accelerator pump is a small brass piston with a tiny O-ring. Both wears quickly because they slide every time you play with the throttle. At first, the O-ring is designed for static or rotational motion. It doesn't work well and doesn't last long in a sliding motion but it's a very cheap component and apparently Stihl wanted to put the fewest money as possible in this carb "upgrade". Bad game for the customers.

Practically, that gives an air leak directly inside the carb. Barely perceptible at first, it becomes worse and worse, till the chainsaw can't work at all.

Some times ago, I found a solution on AS to correct the issue and I made a tuto with plenty of pics. It works well and it's a nice and easy fix, very far under the 100$. But the tuto is useless now because Imageshack sabotaged so many threads, trashing an enormous quantity of pics. I still have the pics on my pc and must to put them again on the net.
But you can get it on Magnus's site now, because he saved the whole post on his own pc. Smart move.:)

It is a true pleasure!

I know many had (and more will have) good use of this article, so if there is any credit to spend it should be on Marc-Antoine and this fine article.

Marc-Antoine has alot of knowledge on the finer mechanical points of saws that I wish I kept up on.
Thanks for you information Marc.:thumbup:

The little accelerator pump is a small brass piston with a tiny O-ring. Both wears quickly because they slide every time you play with the throttle. At first, the O-ring is designed for static or rotational motion. It doesn't work well and doesn't last long in a sliding motion but it's a very cheap component and apparently Stihl wanted to put the fewest money as possible in this carb "upgrade". Bad game for the customers.

Practically, that gives an air leak directly inside the carb. Barely perceptible at first, it becomes worse and worse, till the chainsaw can't work at all.

Some times ago, I found a solution on AS to correct the issue and I made a tuto with plenty of pics. It works well and it's a nice and easy fix, very far under the 100$. But the tuto is useless now because Imageshack sabotaged so many threads, trashing an enormous quantity of pics. I still have the pics on my pc and must to put them again on the net.
But you can get it on Magnus's site now, because he saved the whole post on his own pc. Smart move.:)

The accelerator pump was not to what I was referring to. I know about the pump and the fix.What I am referring to was a run of lousy carbs from a Zuma factory in China. It effected more than just the 200t. The carbs literally fell apart. Ran lean from sucking air around the butterfly shaft. Among other things. I had an FS 250 lean out and destroy itself in under 6 months from brand new. The 200 t I bought around the same time did the same thing in one year. Just lousy builds. The carbs that were coming out of Japan were fine. You just did not what you were going to get. That was right around the 2008 market crash.

So I dual ported the muffler on my 201 tcm. Maybe went seven mill. on the hole in Brad Sneller style. Wow does that thing pick up now. I would highly recommend doing it to yours. What I wouldn't recommend is drinking and then painting your saw. I just used Blue Timber Marking Paint, but the danged saw turned out baby blue! Oh... and NEVER paint your guide-bar... looks insane gay. It's complete with little matching flippy-caps and everything. I didn't think that I might be gay untill I saw the pics of what I had done. I think I might name him Francois.

unnamed-860.jpg

Hey Agnes! What do you think, little lady? "Uhhh... I dunno dad."

unnamed-861.jpg

Hey Roop! O.k. bud, honestly... how do you like the Blue? (He didn't say a word.)

unnamed-862.jpg

Back