201tc

More times than not problems with the 200T are related to bad seals caused by side thrust on the crankshaft bearings .The bearings are roller type with a built in thrust washer within the bearing .
It's relatively easy to change the bearings and seals on this model .The last I did it was around $60 dollars for the parts and a couple of hours to do .I've done a bunch of them .
It was thought at one time these problems were carb related to one model of the Zama C1Q carb where the worn accelerator pump shaft allowed air leaks .I'm not certain if that was actually the problem but a lot of people bought new carbs at 90 bucks a pop from the dealer .

Thanks for the replies. One year warranty as opposed to 3 years for other saws because the 201 is considered commercial. I've got a lot to learn before I start drilling holes in something I paid $900 for.:O
Keeping it out of big wood is for sure something I'll be striving for.
I would definitely like to get the 200 in working order again somewhere down the road, also.

Tools are made to be used. If it makes sense to cut big wood with it, I wouldn't hesitate to cut it. I've been spending a lot of time with my 2511 hanging on my pistol belt; cutting big stuff, trash, whatever... That's how it's useful to me. The tool should be working for you, not the other way around.

One usually assumes they build things to withstand just about anything you could throw at it, but they tend not to. They should make them to cool the engine well enough to cut at full throttle for a full tank of gas, but who knows if it could survive that without overheating or damage. They probably anticipate a climber using it for wood not much bigger than the bar. And they might assume the owner will keep saw dust cleaned off the cooling fins and starter cover on a somewhat regular basis. And consider the relative "mileage" put on a small saw slowly cutting big wood, that's a lot of use. You go from clearing all the branches of a tree in one tank of gas to cutting only 10 chunks of firewood per tank.

I watched some stock truck pulls, and thought what could go wrong with a stock truck pulling with such limited power? But they almost always snap a shaft somewhere in the drive train if the bumper doesn't get ripped off first because they are not meant to run at max power in low gear for very long at all.

For power, but probably not for life. More power fatigues metal faster. I'd say keep the filter clean and run 40:1 of a high quality oil for a long life, and don't abuse it, don't cut big wood, that's what big saws are for.

I might be able to point you towards a 200t rebuilder.
The modifications, IF done properly, should allow the Saw to flow more air - more air / more torque = more powa ! The Saw should also run cooler than a stocker and service life should be similar all things being equal ... Providing you have the work , the Saw (and cost of mods - or just your time / labor if you possess the required skills to modify) should pay for itself rather quickly - I know mine did :lol:

Back