Drone for Christmas

The "500' rule" is tricky. What is the definition of a "congested area?" A 600' tower (obstacle) within 2000' means you have to fly more than 1,600' AGL. And notice the "500' from any person/vehicle/structure" restriction. Not many places you can fly that are not within 500' of a person/car/building. Not to mention the fact that drones are not considered aircraft by the FAA.

The FAA is struggling with how to deal with these "unmanned aircraft systems" so it's best to stay up on the rules, as they slowly figure out how to "regulate" them. Whole different class of problems to deal with.
In the meantime, #1 - as a pilot, I don't want people flying drones near me while I'm trying to take-off or land, and #2 - I'd love to have one, because they are really cool, and I'd want to fly it everywhere (except around airports.)

I got mine up to a little over 51mph while climbing at 6.2mph/545fpm this afternoon chasing a train down for some footage.

My drone Friday afternoon... Ive put almost 5 hours and over 42 miles on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes , Welcome ! ... Chuck Schumer (NY) drafting legislation now. Wants manufacturer to build in tech so they cannot fly near airport , FBI and Police buildings ...

I read an article in the paper last night, which stated that the drone is the #2 item purchased this year, handguns & ammo are #1, in the nation! What does that say about our priorities as a nation? At least we have our priorities in order!

Dave6390 in WI

The focus on the drone's camera is a bit soft; guessing it needs to be calibrated regularly (interchangeable lens), but I'm looking into that.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TftXSADaN20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

atoll-donut_web680_small.jpg

or

autumn_letter_u_2_460_0.jpg

or...

Set two new records today, farthest distance from where I took off (2.36 miles) and fastest speed (65.5mph). That's bookin it! I had a pretty decent tail wind on the way out, which made the trip back in harder/slower.

Farthest.jpg
Fastest.jpg

I must say Carl, the video from the Drone was absolutely amazing! I just can't believe the prices for the Phantom 3 series. Just about fell over when I looked them up! They will really make a huge impact in our trade. I'm sure the prices will level out over time, but I'm still contemplating the investment.
By the looks of it, you've got it mastered. I loved the video!!!

Don't lose the dang thing!

If I lose signal, essentially flies back and lands where it took off (home point). The main thing that would keep it from getting back to the home point would be running out of power. If the power gets low enough, it will land wherever it is rather than falling out of the sky. As it flies back, in theory I should be able to regain a signal. If the battery was too low to make it back, I can land in a remote location by pointing the camera down to find a clear place to land.

I must say Carl, the video from the Drone was absolutely amazing! I just can't believe the prices for the Phantom 3 series. Just about fell over when I looked them up! They will really make a huge impact in our trade. I'm sure the prices will level out over time, but I'm still contemplating the investment.
By the looks of it, you've got it mastered. I loved the video!!!

Thanks! The focus was soft... I'm working on that. Did you think the Phantom prices were high or reasonable? If you think they're high, don't look up what my Inspire package cost!

Look up "Snot Bots". Researchers are flying them over whales and catching small amounts of their bodily secretions in exhaled air 'spout.'
They can tell what whale it is specifically as well as health etc.

Oh yeah my point - they put cheap foam on them as flotation.

Really know nothing about drones - bought a syma x11 with the crazy idea of using it to help set a throwline in a tree (and if that wasn't possible - just have a bit of fun). Fun was/is/still had though at around $30 this is really just a toy; if even just the battery is slightly moved in its holding - it affects the flight (just indoors too) - I'll probably give it to my younger cousins to play with. The weight that it may be able to hold may be miniscule (even throwline would probably be a challenge - never tried it yet though) + even a just a slight breeze would make things difficult.

Still not letting go of the possibility of setting a line with one though (I know others have had the same idea). Anyone point me in the direction of others who have made some progress in this direction?

Any suggestions on a larger model to try out/upgrade to?

I don't know much about them specifically, but hobbyking.com has a ton of multirotors, kits, motors, electronics, etc, etc. They have an annual beer lift contest to see who can lift the most weight with their multirotor, its split into classes by he size of the craft. If they can lift the weights that they do, a small one should easily be able to lift a throwline and drop it on the other side of the tree with a little upgrading. I saw one a while back literally flying with a pint of beer sitting on it (plastic cup of course). The body was barely bigger than the cup, so it was pretty small and I think that's close to the weight of a throw bag.

Back