Drone for Christmas

Altissimus

TreeHouser
Seems popular thing here now in US ... Could be a great tool for Tree , Bridge , Building inspections. Wonder about the downside , lots of Drones owned and operated by amateurs. FAA oversight seems behind the curve. An accident waiting to happen is my guess.

Sounds like a commercial licence we'll be or is required for any commercial use

I bought a quad copter earlier this year with the thought of possible tree applications with full gps and autonomous flight capabilities. Not my thing it turns out so I gave it to my neighbor's 9 year old son. Be prepared to spend well over a grand for anything that can take useful diagnostic footage. Plus more money and hoops for commercial use.
There are a lot of what are referred to as toy grade quads and drones out that take good scenic shots, are fun to fly and don't cost the world and it is these that are driving the drone craze.

We have had problems around here with drones getting in the way of fire fighting. Guys trying to make a drop and a damn drone gets in the way. Sooooooo.... New laws ... yup. Anyway. Levi loves them, bought his own quad copter with out camera to play with. Told him, "Get good enough and the company will buy you one with a camera to video jobs with". See what come of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Drove to a suburb of Boston for Holiday feast (quite close to Logan International) ... Parked , got out , and heard something funny running ... Hmmm my Cousin pointed out the drone flying the neighborhood.

One of these little pieces of tech at relatively low altitudes gets sucked into a jet engine during takeoff or landing ... Be bad , real bad.

I watched a video about turbo fan engines eating birds. They are supposed to be rated for bird strikes, some of them at least.

A drone must be harder than a bird. Hitting that at 250 mph or so would be bad anywhere on a aircraft.

This is what i would do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S0GBeOnxA4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reason military pilots do crazy ass steep / fast landings and takeoffs in war zones , the place where large craft are the most vulnerable.

I have a small quadcopter on my christmas list, it has a camera and connects to a smartphone. Its a cheapy but should be good fun I think. Lots of cheap indoor and outdoor hobby and toy grade ones at hobbyking.com

Didn't Carl get a nice one?

I bought my first three years ago. The idea was for aerial videoing but the technology wasn't where it needed to be for my liking.

I bought my third today which should do what I wanted to do three years ago. The second was a toy (Parrot Drone 2.0).

Back