Missed a good deal???

I couldn't say about Canadian gov't vehicles, but in my experience, here in the US rigs owned by the feds almost always (not to say always without that caveat) got good regular maintenance and repairs as needed. Especially service rigs like that. Personally assigned pickups or SUVs might depend more on the interest level of the specific driver, but even then, generally it was a point of performance evaluation, whether one scheduled needed service cycles, so mostly they did happen, and mostly the mechanics did good work.

My experience echos Burnham's.

I was part of an inspection group for the state one time for check in for fire duty. They were thorough.

Good looking truck. What were you going to use it for? Log loader?

The rail road uses Palfinger cranes and likes them a lot.

I've seen machinery come out of US military bases that was in excellent shape, like was already mentioned, regular and skilled maintenance. Brands were the best too.

I was a driver instructor/examiner in the CF, often the driver's motto was "drive it like you stole it". But at the time, yes, vehicles were rode hard and put away wet, but always seemed to get the required maintenance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My experience echos Burnham's.

I was part of an inspection group for the state one time for check in for fire duty. They were thorough.

Good looking truck. What were you going to use it for? Log loader?

The rail road uses Palfinger cranes and likes them a lot.

Ya log truck. Palfinger make a debris/wood grapple apparently. I just might keep my eye out for another.

If I was getting a log truck it wouldn't use a crane. Palfinger has the Epsilon log loaders which spec very favorably against the competitors and is available with an A frame pedestal or out and down outriggers. I'll be building a grapple truck soon (hopefully) and will be putting an Epsilon on it (possible dealer opportunity).

I have run a palfinger crane for 6-7 years, no issues. That crane isn't piped for grapple/rotator though.

A crane is slower than a loader is my thinking. A Z boom can fold to stow without removing the grapple, that ability is limited usually on traditional knuckle booms.

If you want to efficiently load and unload proper logs, then a west coast style self loader is absolutely the way to go. But I can't see that as the product most arbs have to move, on average.

Back