Ergovation vs MCRS vs ???

Kabir424

TreeHouser
I finally have some cash I can drop on a decent saddle and give back the basic Weaver saddle I have been borrowing from my boss.

I am leaning towards the Ergovation and I can get it new for about $405. But I am also intrigued by the Matt Cornell Rope Saddle which I can get for about $465. If anyone has extensively used both and can comment that would be great. And I am open to other suggestions for saddles.

It will mainly be for pruning and not as much removals. Possibly in the future we will do more removals but for now it's mainly moving around in the trees doing pruning.

Saddles are a very personal issue. What one person might like, another will hate.

Check out several, if you can!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have a supplier within 400 miles of me that carries an Ergovation or really anything more advanced than the Weaver I am currently using. That's why I am crowdsourcing any info I can.

The Ergo is heavy. Look at the specks for both and decide what appeals to you. Not going to regret either one.

I've tried the Ergo light, which was really really nice to use ( so nice my brand new one got stolen from the davey shop :X ) The light part fixes the weight issue if you dont rely too much on the padding. Really comfortable, easy on the back, and really allows for movement.

Just bought The MCRS and havent really really gotten to move around in it yet, but have tried it on in a small tree. I liked the belt part, and the way the whole harness seems to hang from one spot (rope bridge), and the fact that most of the parts are replaceable.

thats my 2 cents :)

I was happy with the Buckingham ErgoLite, and now fly the MCRS, which is good so far. You have to set up the gear loops how you want, which is nicely adjustable, and take a bit of time. I've been using a Neutrino (if I recall correctly) biner with the wiregate facing the rear for my saw hanger. That's worked nicely for me, so far, but am open to other ideas.

Treemotion and Onyx are also good pruning saddles. Lightweight and comfortable. You can get the Treemotion for $380 (plus a $30 gift certificate so more like $350) from Bartlett right now, or the Onyx for ~$250.

tried the MCRS a bit more since last week.... Its nice once its a bit broken in, everything on it is totally adjustable and at first feels stiff and odd, but then you break it in and it is PERFECT. Both are really great saddles. MCRS seems like a more economical choice.

My husband has back problems, and when he switched to the original ergovation the back troubles he was having with other saddles dissapeared. He hasn't had a chance to try out the MCRS

I ended up buying the MRCS along with a couple of hundred dollars worth of other stuff from TreeStuff. I was going to order through SherrillTree and get the Ergovation but they weren't offering the discount that I originally thought they would so I went with someone else. I know I probably would have been happy with either choice.

Good choice! Play with the adjustments before you cut the excess rope off and keep an eye on those knots until you are satisfied that they are stable. When this saddle is setup correctly and broken in, it has good comfort and spectacular freedom of movement.

It should be a very large improvement over the Weaver cotton 4-Dee saddle I have been using. Now I just have to wait with so much anticipation. It's a good thing TreeStuff ships so quickly.

Back