Edelrid Children's harnesses

shesthebaum

TreeHouser
Looking to get my 2 year old son a harness!

I've heard good things about the newtribe ones but i think we have decided to get him an Edelrid. Does anyone have experience with the Fraggle?? I like that it has upper body support and feel that would be better for someone so young.

I have the fraggle, we got it when Jax was 2 and he loves it. He is 3 now and still fits it easily, and he's big for his age. I was between the fraggle and the petzl (simba I think) and the formed and padded shoulder and leg sections just looked more comfortable to me. He climbs a little, mostly just asks me to set up a rope to swing him from a tree. He likes switching between the front and rear tie in when he wants to "fly like superman".

I definitely recommend the full body harnesses for that age, they don't seem to care if they flip upside down which gets scary as its hard to make sure the harness is fitted perfect, and their heads tend to have their own gravitational pull - if they can hit something, they will, with their head. On that note, the small kids rock climbing helmet from camp fits Jax's head pretty well too ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That looks like fun! looks like my husband just got the Finn II though. lets hope it fits and works like a charm! lol. How is he with manning knots? does he show any interest?

oh good! thats the one we are getting. glad it seems to be a good choice.

i dont think that picture you added in your comment is working.

That looks like fun! looks like my husband just got the Finn II though. lets hope it fits and works like a charm! lol. How is he with manning knots? does he show any interest?

Whenever I have to shorten a rope (saw bite or other illness) I seal the ends on the removed portion and give it to Jax, which he promptly "ties" to something to hang up or pull around the house. I have not tried to teach him any actual knots yet, just letting him enjoy his own ideas. He usually asks me to help after a few minutes of twisting the lines together does not produce a productive knot.

Don't get me worried now about a full body harness. I'm placing my order this week for my daughters Christmas gift.

I just tried the finnII on my son today, he needed a lot of reminders on how to lift his body up.... I am thinking we maybe should have gotten the fraggle with its full body harness. Does any one know if this harness is dangerous for someone to be dangling in for periods longer than 10 minutes? I am being told by my husband that it would be.

I don't know about that one specifically, but I have spent lots of time hanging in my rock climbing harness with no issues (just don't hang a chainsaw on it). I would think a 2yr old would not weigh enough to cause an issue. Prolonged time inverted or nearly inverted would be a concern for me. Might not actually present a problem, but it would concern me if it were my little one.

That sounds a little paranoid but I'm no doctor. Suspension trauma takes an hour or more to set in as far I know and that's if your not moving.

Attachments

• sequoia tree.jpg
    sequoia tree.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 25
Young ones tend to be "head heavy"...that is why I go for full body. I get concerned about inversion and them falling out.

if you are worried about them falling out of a rock climbing harness you can get chest harness add-ons to prevent them from falling out.

good to know! that could help until hes ready to go it without. Do you know where those would be available? not on tree stuff i would assume but maybe at a store like MEC?

What a cutie levi! my kids got the same saw :thumbup:

You can tie a webbing chest harness, if not readily available. People used to tie swiss seats, after all.

Back