CHIPDROP.INC

vharrison

Island Girl
I got a flyer for this today. Once registered, it gives you sites that will accept chips. None available in the Florida Keys, but a cool idea.

www.chipdrop.in

Anyone used this service?

I've been using it for about a year. It works great, interface is easy and in outer lying towns I can usually find somewhere close to dump. Some of the spots even pay a bit, but I'm usually just more concerned with offloading quick and keeping job flow movin.

It was started by a new to the business groundie, based in Portland, Or. https://www.chipdrop.in/aboutus/ I've used it for a year now. Cool. At first, it was free to dump. Now the majority of dump requests cost $20, but he offers the chip request parties the option to pay $20-80. If they do so, it's either free to dump, or can add $20 to your account. While I also have other free dump sites, including a few run by Seattle Parks, there will usually be a chip request within a few miles of the day's work site.

We looked into it, but our chips too often have palm or bamboo or pepper tree seeds or other crap that I wouldn't want to give to people.

Sort of like our chips with poison oak in them... Those just don't happen for people. They come home here where we can compost them with the worms.

I thought I was going to have to go to the green waste dump or something with laurel chippings. Someone I know want them for their chicken run.

I don't haul chips much anymore. Maybe 1/3 of my jobs, some jobs being homeowner clean up.

Not hard to get paid for chips around here, but usually not worth the trip, compared to it being right next door.

We practically never give away chips. It's just a huge hassle. I'd honestly have to charge like $300 or $500 for a load of chips to have a guy drive 5 miles away to dump it could take a couple hours round trip...and that would probably be overtime hours. As it is, we have a guy come in 15 minutes early to dump and he's usually back 20 minutes later. I can't justify the drive to give them away for "free" just to save a $50 dump fee.

Yeah... Makes sense. Bad traffic can take forever to get through for just a few miles.
We pay 55 per ton and its a 1 hour turn if the dump if busy. So it costs us more than dropping with in 2-5 miles. Or composting them at home. But having 12 acres is a huge advantage in that.

We still have a bit of that problem.. but we do have options.. Some parts of the hill are not really parking friendly.... Good spot for a shop down where the shack is. Only money and time....You can turn a full length semi around down there. Maybe two.
Home.png

We practically never give away chips. It's just a huge hassle. I'd honestly have to charge like $300 or $500 for a load of chips to have a guy drive 5 miles away to dump it could take a couple hours round trip...and that would probably be overtime hours. As it is, we have a guy come in 15 minutes early to dump and he's usually back 20 minutes later. I can't justify the drive to give them away for "free" just to save a $50 dump fee.

What is your service radius, driving limit like?

How do you get rid of chips? Are you conveniently around the corner from a green waste facility?

This looks good for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We looked into it, but our chips too often have palm or bamboo or pepper tree seeds or other crap that I wouldn't want to give to people.

Palm mulch breaks down into great soil. We don't work with bamboo but the pepper tree seeds that go through our chipper are dead when they come out. It actually makes a nice chip. We give palm and pepper mulch away every day. Palm mulch is a pain to spread but it really does break down into great soil, lots of nutrients.

Just drive down interstate with lids open like a lot of tree dudes do here......problem solved, and it's a green technique.

lol
We have it pretty easy around here getting rid of wood and chips. Most of the time it's a half hour round trip or less to a dump spot.

I have no prob giving em away here, mabey a 5-10min drive tops, dropping off the chipper at home first is what works

I used to hoard my chips at home to compost and use as mulch. Now I'm producing a bit to much. Got quite a few mulch makers around so it's easy to be rid of them. My " boss " who runs 2- 18" and a 21" chipper actually gets paid for chips by one of the mulch makers. It's down to $18 a ton but he tells me it covers fuel every month. If we have a close clearing job we'll dump 50- 75 tons a day. Normal work is probably only 20 a day between three crews.

What is your service radius, driving limit like?

How do you get rid of chips? Are you conveniently around the corner from a green waste facility?

This looks good for me.

Where Nick lives, a 35 mile commute can often take up to 2.5 hours. With out accidents. Depending on time of day.
Los Angeles is second worst for traffic in the nation.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/08/26/study-traffic-scorecard-reveals-la-gridlock-places-second-in-nation/
la-freeway-full.jpg

Think of what the traffic jams would be like if there were only one or two lanes in each direction highways, like in a lot of countries. America is a great country!

Back