climber bite?

Mick, ouch, heal up soon.

Those pics do look like they are too short. My two cents. My varicose veins ache just looking at those pics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, guys. I'll adjust them and reshoot.

Mick: OW! Is that a recent picture? The wound looks a bit infected. Did you get some antibiotics, or is it less red and angry now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Doesn't look like the velcro is set-up right. Maybe its just that they wrap around more, and overlap more.

Are the straps fed throught the "buckle" and doubled back and velcro stuck, or just wrapped around and velcro'ed?

Bumping this oldie cuz I’m hurting. Gross burst blisters and bruising on both legs. I was comfy again after wrapping bandanas on my shins and securing with some tape.
This wasn’t a problem when the caddies were on my old steel Buckingham spurs. Now same caddies are on Bashlin aluminum climbers and there’s a lot more rattle and movement. I’m determined to keep the Bashlins in service though.
I’m gonna take Butch’s advice and try the soccer shin guards. I was thinking about wearing my hockey socks, but really don’t want to add more sweat and funk to all that.

I know others here use Bashlins with Caddies AKA Opsal pads. Any way to kill some of that movement and make them fit tighter? I’m thinking tape, but idk how long it could hold up.

Great bump, Jonny! I don't think I saw this thread the first time around. Sorry to hear about your troubles on this account.

Tim

Huh. Bashlin and Caddie's here all the time. No unpadded contact let alone blisters etc.

Where does it rub on your leg? You know there is a left and right hand to the angled Bashlin at least, I trust. Also there is an angled set of aluminum climbers that jogs nicely around my ankle bone but, there is a straight set of Bashlin aluminum climbers too.

Just read in another thread that it was rubbing your calf and had a lot of movement.

Caddie's were advertised as not fitting Bashlins at the time I bought my first set. I had to open them up a bit with an old saw file - took a few minutes. They still move some, click around a bit if I shake them in mid air. Foam is about 3/4 inch on mine if that offers anything for comparison. I bought new replacement foam at the time I bought the pads years ago but have never needed to replace it. (Wespur)

Yes, me too. First climbers I ever tried were straight steel that rubbed my ankle bone with each step and rotation of my ankle. Those lasted a day or few.

Never tried the caddies but I just put together a new set of buck alloys with their Velcro wrap pads with the steel insert. Super comfortable, don't feel the pads at all. I like them better than my geckos for the most part.

I’m running the big buck pads with steel insert on my bashlins with no complaints. And yes I found them more comfortable than geckos.

I’ll look closer, but pretty sure the shanks are straight, and stirrup is offset, so it’s away from my ankle.
The foam is original from around 11 years ago and looks to be in good shape.
I’m using some Velcro straps on the pads, with the strap in place, the pads fall right off the climbers if they get bounced around some in my bag. Thinks I’ll try opening the top of the climber up some with a flat screwdriver or maybe apply some tape to minimize the play.

I do have a set of Buck Titanium twisted shank, offset stirrup, and they got the steel insert Velcro wrap pads, think they’re Buckingham pads, might be Weaver. Haven’t tried them yet, but there is a plan B anyway. I really like the Bashlins though and want these to work.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I could never wear cady pads. Pads don't need to be thickly padded to be comfortable, they just need to fit your leg. Leather cups with angled steel inserts is what worked for me. They make them to fit Bashlins.

Had Bucks and Bashlins with those and never had any need for extra padding or protection. That said though, DMM geckos are the best damn spurs I've ever had.

I found that from time to time, I had more friction between leg and caddy pad than usual. After a bit of time and reflection, I realized those times seemed to coincide with really sweaty weather, in conjunction with wearing newish Carhart canvas pants.

I didn't need more padding, and didn't need less movement between my caddy pads and my gaff shanks...I needed less moisture and less friction from rough canvas. Old, well worn cotton Levis, or smooth nylon saw pants took care of that occasional issue, for me.

Yeah I’ve been eyeballing them. Are the Buckingham ones and the Weaver ones the same thing or is one better somehow?

Those weaver big pads are sweaty, but feel like heaven to my varicose veins. I don't spend much time in spurs.

Back