Used Stihl 192 vs. New Echo 355

New vs. used

• Yes! Don't inherit someone else's problems, buy the new 355 and don't look back.

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No! A well-maintained 192 will be fine for weekend use, pocket the difference.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

Thanks to all the help in THIS THREAD, I'm down to my essential question in the quest for a new (to me) top handle.

Keeping in mind that true "pro grade" saws (150, 201, etc.) are out based on cost, what I'm wondering is this:

"Is a new Echo 355T at about $370 (including tax) worth $100 more than a used Stihl 192 which can be had all day for $270 (or less) shipped?"

I'd consider a used 355, but they just aren't on the market...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for being the first respondent, Nick!

Given that this is a poll on an internet forum, I fully expect the result to be a 50/50 tie! :lol:

That extra hundred bucks is getting you a whole lot more saw with the 355 Jeff. I wouldn't even hesitate on that one.

Bet it holds Jeff... Less'n you git some dummies on here like Willie (SOTC) to weigh-in. :boxing:

;)

Here's a BIG curveball...

I just may have gotten a lead on a minty 200T for $320. (The private seller likely doesn't realize the demand for them.)

That would be truly stupid not to snap up right?! :?

Roger! I have to be on the sidelines as "soccer dad" tomorrow PM, but hoping to meet the seller on Thursday afternoon.

If it works out, great. If not, I'll be happy with the 355 as a backup plan!

I bought my 355 after using my buddy's 192, I'm not sure how worn out his 192 was but my 355 is whole different animal. I'd take the 355 over the 192 any day. I've never used a 200, but from everything I've heard I'd snag that thing quick.

I'd be surprised if the 200T deal works out. Between soccer and a boy with a fever, I can't get to see it until tomorrow. The seller has a potential buyer coming today, who I imagine will scarf it up!

Looks like after a blower, a string trimmer, and a CS-590 saw, the universe wants me to stay with Echo and buy a 355T!:lol:

I'll keep you posted...

No IMO some people just aint money grubbers trying to soak folks on the 200's is all. I just seen one for $250 not long ago. Most up to $350.

Go echo 355 and pass on that 192.

New ALWAYS better than used
...Echos lack a heavy duty piston but whatever.... I was actually happy to off my Sthil 020T used three years for a hunert bucks.....Go Husky

...Echos lack a heavy duty piston but whatever....

I dunno, Alt. This picture from a 355 dissection HERE looks pretty burly to me (and the rod is not stamped)...

Echo355T016_zpse4d3cec8.jpg

the plot thickens

Well, thanks to you guys, the used 192s are out.

However, today's potential buyer was a no-show and the guy on CL still has the 200T with a 16" bar. He texts, " I usually don't take trade in saws but sense I have been working on saws for over 40 years I checked this saw completely out and it was good."

Hmm...I thought he was the original owner. :?

I asked if he knew whether it had been a homeowner or commercial saw, he says homeowner.

I know the spec. sheets don't necessarily mean diddly, but the displacement & weight numbers on the 200 and 355 are almost identical.

The new Echo with a 14" bar (probably a better length for me) is $30 more ($50 with tax) than he's asking for the 200T. Despite everything I've heard about the 200, I'm tempted to go with the 355 and know its history from the word go...how stupid would that be?

Buy the 200t. If you don't like it, sell it for $325. LINE UP BEHIND ME. A new Echo can always be picked up off the shelf.

Back