pressure washing climbing rope ?

Well hey there, buddy. Back from walkabout?
Well, sun off a florida beach; is that like a crippled joke?
Actually, the wife asks about you so much i finally got suspicious!!!:P
Please forgive'me boss;
but i'm always and all ways so focused on whatever i do/as witnessed, that it does tend to eclipse other things.
Not one to talk of things too much i don't actually do; but i guess that is another skill (one some know all too well rite from cradle).
Plus on all this not climbing etc. broke my heart enough that to walk away i had to get away..
i've always been playing around with computer, drawing, and drop in form time to time, site still gets hits so kept it up..
At the beginning of the year, i sat down, and the drawings flowed much easier.
So; somehow i ended up here in time to wish you a happy VD.

Last edited:
Never bluff/follow your gut some, if you think you should or wish you had another line, bust that bag open(just like if u think MAYBE you need bath, mouthwash, check oil, air etc...)!!

Can cost too much to send wife shopping while i sneak washer! I have used goop for pine/tar etc., but try no chemical first or as first pull; and don't use goop in wifey's sacred appliances. If woman ain't happy, ain't no-o-o-o-o-body happy!

hahahaha...good stuff, Kenny:lol: Good to read you again. Missed you, bro!

And I didn't know a grain of sand had ~18 cutting surfaces...I LOVE stuff like that!

I am of the same philosophy Kenny. Many different colors in my stable that follows the age of the rope. Older gets the beating to younger more tender climbing and critical rigging.
Nice to read ya mang. Don't be a stranger.

:thumbup:
I'll second that. Before I used a bucket I was retiring a climbing line after a year. Now it's closer to two years but I'm also running three different lines. Rigging lines don't last long. The boss is starting to buy it by the spool for me.

Not to try to change anyone's mind about the wisdom of retiring life lines on age alone, because no one should give a climber grief over that decision...

Many a year ago now, at a Region 6 USFS Tree Climbing Instructor workshop that I facilitated, we drop tested (to the best of our admittedly limited technical ability to quantify) some very elderly, but properly stored climb lines. I've posted about this before on these forums, so apologies to those who no doubt roll their eyes at the repeat :).

I won't go into the gory details again, but the bottom line is this. Ropes that the manufacturer recommended retirement after two years of existence, not even use, at over 20 years of age, exceeded our ability to break at fall factors well in excess of 3.0...a load that climbers should never see on life support lines, and would result in extreme bodily damage or death if experienced, with all life support components remaining intact.

That tells me that advice regarding retiring ropes based on age alone, is advice from entities selling rope.

So I keep my life support lines stored properly, inspect for damage with great regularity, and do not retire them on age alone. They will wear out long before they degrade to a risky state from simple age, imo.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, B. I have never retired a climbing line in 8 years of tree climbing. Most don't even show much wear. SRT helps that. One has become two or three ropes.

Not to try to change anyone's mind about the wisdom of retiring life lines on age alone, because no one should give a climber grief over that decision...

Many a year ago now, at a Region 6 USFS Tree Climbing Instructor workshop that I facilitated, we drop tested (to the best of our admittedly limited technical ability to quantify) some very elderly, but properly stored climb lines. I've posted about this before on these forums, so apologies to those who no doubt roll their eyes at the repeat :).

I won't go into the gory details again, but the bottom line is this. Ropes that the manufacturer recommended retirement after two years of existence, not even use, at over 20 years of age, exceeded our ability to break at fall factors well in excess of 3.0...a load that climbers should never see on life support lines, and would result in extreme bodily damage or death if experienced, with all life components remaining intact.

That tells me that advice regarding retiring ropes based on age alone, is advice from entities selling rope.

So I keep my life support lines stored properly, inspect for damage with great regularity, and do not retire them on age alone. They will wear out long before they degrade to a risky state from simple age, imo.

Great post! Thanks for that information, Burnham!

Tim

Thanks for that re-post, Tim. I never saw it the first time around and it is good info. I have some good kernmantle that is from the 70's....still looks good, has had good care, minor stress. I have used it before as a backup in a highline situation...now I don't feel it was a totally stupid thing to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't recall seeing a manufacture date on any of the ropes I've bought in the last several years. So who knows how long it sat at the factory..Distributor.. and retailer. So they could expired before even hitting your doorstep. One question on longer term storage; is there anything that will react or degrade rope, Like certain plastic containers ? or anything to stay away from? Sometimes have to get creative when storing ropes to keep the rodents out.

Back