pressure washing climbing rope ?

Climbhigh

TreeHouser
is there is any other reason not to pressure wash a climbing rope other than forcing dirt into the rope? I've got a few pitched up ropes that will not get clean and at this point i don't care if the pressure washer forces it into the rope as long as its not on the outside were my hitch runs. thanks

You have put your finger on the reason not to do it. Plus, that won't move the pitch anyway, in my opinion.

Why not just clean the pitch off properly?

What is properly to you, B?

I remember back in the day we would drag our sappy ropes down a dirt road, lol.

There are some products specifically designed for the job. Lifeline is one of the best, and I've used it several times with good success. Warm water in a deep sink, a hefty dollup of Lifeline and some serious hand work will take care of most pitch and anything else, too.

Me, after reading up on the subject and looking at Black Diamond's research, I prefer to use petroleum based non-abrasive hand cleaner. My favorite is Goop (now hard to find for some reason), but others work pretty well. Same protocol...warm water bath, hand work, extensive rinse, and hang to dry in the shade. Faster and better results than Lifeline, but outside what many "experts" will tell you is OK. I disagree.

I'm not sure the pressure washer would do you any good either. Goop for me too but on really sappy stuff I'll get a big handful and run the rope through my hand, smearing and rubbing it on and in while feeding it into a clean bucket. After a couple of hours, I put the rope in a bag and into the washing machine on gentle with a little detergent and let her rip. Air dry and you're good to go. It takes a little time, but it works. I read from one of the rope manufacturers, Samson I believe, that acetone was fine for cleaning rope and it may be but I'm hesitant about putting it on my climbing line.

is there is any other reason not to pressure wash a climbing rope other than forcing dirt into the rope? I've got a few pitched up ropes that will not get clean and at this point i don't care if the pressure washer forces it into the rope as long as its not on the outside were my hitch runs. thanks

Great thread, thanks for starting it.

There are some products specifically designed for the job. Lifeline is one of the best, and I've used it several times with good success. Warm water in a deep sink, a hefty dollup of Lifeline and some serious hand work will take care of most pitch and anything else, too.

Me, after reading up on the subject and looking at Black Diamond's research, I prefer to use petroleum based non-abrasive hand cleaner. My favorite is Goop (now hard to find for some reason), but others work pretty well. Same protocol...warm water bath, hand work, extensive rinse, and hang to dry in the shade. Faster and better results than Lifeline, but outside what many "experts" will tell you is OK. I disagree.

Burnham, thanks for these recommendations. If you have Amazon Prime you can get free two-day shipping on the stuff that Amazon itself ships.

Here's a link to the "Goop" product.

http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Cleaner-...1&ie=UTF8&qid=1441315192&sr=8-1&keywords=goop

I don't know if the Goop comes in any bigger containers or not, but that is some pretty pricey stuff at about 50 cents per ounce.

I'm wondering what you rope maintenance veterans think of this item I'm about to post a link to. It comes in at about 15.4 cents per ounce, and that includes the fairly hefty shipping costs, as this listing does not show Amazon as being the one doing the shipping. I'm wondering what you folks think of the list of ingredients, and whether or not there's anything in there that might hurt a rope.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-2521...?ie=UTF8&qid=1441315192&sr=8-16&keywords=goop

Thanks for any and all responses, in advance, folks.

Tim

P.S. Just found this, similar item, but I think maybe a slightly different item code and therefore possibly a different combination of ingredients, shipped by Amazon. Only 13.27 cents per ounce, not counting taxes, when using Amazon Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-2321...sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=11H2T8M4MRQFSPSASDBA

Last edited:
I don't know if the Goop comes in any bigger containers or not, but that is some pretty pricey stuff at about 50 cents per ounce.
Tim I get GOOP in a 4 pound tub, GO JO in a 1.25 gallon pump container. I can't say what the wife paid for it. Haven't tried the Fast Orange on rope.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the dirt road idea and when I'm done I can use the pressure washer on my truck.

Tim, stay away from the Permatex with pumice, your first link. That is definitely bad for your rope. The one without may work, but I have had some experience with it or at least a very similar product and was not particularly impressed.

Thanks for the Goop link.

I wonder about canola oil, followed up by a wash. I forget is its soap or detergent you want to use.

I have a pitchy one to clean. For now, I"ll probably just switch ends. Only the end has gotten it bad.

If you want to get the rope clean, use Goop. If you want to eff around with all those wannabe methods, go for it. You'll eventually learn :).

Canola? Give me a break, Sean :). You'll have this result, imo...a rope that's still sticky where the pitch is bad before you begin, and slimy every where else.

Back in the days before I learned that neither polyester nor nylon ropes where damaged in the least by mild petrochemicals like the good hand/laundry cleaners like Goop contain, I tried all that organic crap, both on gear and on my body. Mayonnaise, hand lotion, CANOLA fer gad's sake. They all work only sort of...mostly not enough to be worth the effort, in my experience. Getting rid of the oily residue was nearly as big an issue as the pitch, more often than not.

But y'all can go ahead and figure all this out the hard way, just like I did...
:|:

BTW, if soap is needed, I have found Woolite to be easy on the rope finish, and easy to rinse out well.

I have an interesting picture in my mind now, of you covering your body with mayonnaise.
Hope it goes away eventually.

You've picked conifer cones Stig, I know...so you know just how covered in pitch you can end up. It's a real hard thing to get cleaned off, for sure.

I bet our dogs would help, after we cover our bodies with mayonnaise :D.

Back in my branch cutting days I climbed with a figure 8 instead of a friction knot, the ropes got so pitchy.
Never covered myself in mayo, though. I ain't a pervert.:D

Tim, stay away from the Permatex with pumice, your first link. That is definitely bad for your rope. The one without may work, but I have had some experience with it or at least a very similar product and was not particularly impressed.

Thanks for the Goop link.

Burnham, thanks for the warning about the Permatex, and you are welcome for the Goop link. I'm going to have to try to find a source for Ray's four pound tub of the stuff. Just for future reference, really, as so far I haven't had to climb a coniferous tree yet.

Tim

If you want to get the rope clean, use Goop. If you want to eff around with all those wannabe methods, go for it. You'll eventually learn :).

Canola? Give me a break, Sean :). You'll have this result, imo...a rope that's still sticky where the pitch is bad before you begin, and slimy every where else.

Back in the days before I learned that neither polyester nor nylon ropes where damaged in the least by mild petrochemicals like the good hand/laundry cleaners like Goop contain, I tried all that organic crap, both on gear and on my body. Mayonnaise, hand lotion, CANOLA fer gad's sake. They all work only sort of...mostly not enough to be worth the effort, in my experience. Getting rid of the oily residue was nearly as big an issue as the pitch, more often than not.

BTW, if soap is needed, I have found Woolite to be easy on the rope finish, and easy to rinse out well.

Thanks for this entire post, Burnham. It sounds to me like the book answer. Getting to read in one post about all of the pain and anguish one person went through, so that I do not have to learn it all the hard way, is just about priceless. Thanks again.

Tim

I have an interesting picture in my mind now, of you covering your body with mayonnaise.
Hope it goes away eventually.

Yeah, Stig. I haven't used a security blanket in years, but I might need it tonight just to help ward off the nightmares.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for giving me the courage to try something that I know really works: ( GOOP, I love that stuff ! ). With all the conflicting information going around about what is safe or not to use on climbing ropes I was a little gun shy about using anything but blessed holy water to clean my ropes. Although I did try the canola oil routine, but you hit the nail on the head with that one! It made about a 20 Ft section of my rope slippery as hell even after running it through the washing machine again with Woolite. And well if the goop doesn't work there's always Butch's dirt road method " hey kids, want to go for a tube ride.. with 300' of rope. "

Back