Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stand Up Paddling

No shapers around here, afaik.

I haven't heard of a J stroke for a paddle board, thought that was for canoes only.

Btw, outrigger canoes, can you explain the big picture. Is the outrigger for speed or just stability or tracking or what?? Thx.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Check around, pretty core surf scene in the NE, you could probably connect with someone in the region... Yep, the J stroke is used mainly for steering an outrigger canoe or certain canoe surfing intricacies, but works great on a stand up. Essentially, you do your stroke as normal, but before you let off the power and release near your feet, you pivot your lower wrist inward and 'flick the paddle sideways and out of the water. Takes some practice to perfect, but alleviates the constant changing of sides while paddling. When I raced SUP, it conserved a lot of energy wildly switching back and forth.
    The outrigger provides both tracking and stability. Without an outrigger, there is no possible way an oc6/oc4/oc3/oc1 would be able to stay upright. It definitely helps track the boat and its nuances can be used when canoe surfing/racing in big water.

Good info, and I'll have to try the J stroke.

Btw Ian, do you have any perspective on why an sup paddle is a single blade instead of having a double blade kayak style paddle? Would it be so long it would be cumbersome and awkward?

I think in order to reach the water and have the correct stroke angle, a kayak paddle would have to be super long and leverage would be weak at best. SUP was probably started by some crazy hawaiian with a big old longboard and an outrigger paddle.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Ha Cory. You've been bit! Fantastic feeling to be stoked about something. We put off getting a paddleboard until springtime but I'm loving the kayaking still. I really want to get a paddleboard too now though to mix it up. I find kayak paddling to be more than just a shoulder/back workout. I've been really getting a crazy core workout out of it. I cruise on a sit on top so getting on and off in the water is much easier than a sit in kayak. Also the SOT allows more options, like bringing a small dog.

Ian some great info there!

SOTs look like a lot of fun being close to the water, plus I love that indestructible plastic material.

Yeah I have been bit, its crazy.

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

Are there videos of this activity occurring?
    There are but two seasons. Winter, and preparing for winter.
    Jim

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

I found one, I think.

This looks cool a hell, actually. I look like that when I shovel grain, I might be good at it! I would need a couple boards duct taped together though!
    There are but two seasons. Winter, and preparing for winter.
    Jim

Of course. Though the stuff I do would be very boring to watch. But it is fun to do, paddle out into what feels like the middle of nowhere, riding the chop, seeing the schools of bluefish and baitfish, chatting some with the birds, wondering how far you can go with the fitness you have knowing tree work Monday at 7am awaits, implacably.

If you want to see what the pros do with it, youtube laird hamilton sup.