This is the Akimbo

Absolutely helpful, been having trouble getting the new ones dialed in and no time to mess with them

I'll have to set aside a large block of time...I'd really like to listen to it, but that's too long for most of my online attentions :).

Well, just a little side note here. Turns out one of my old climbers came back to the area with an extra Akimbo in tow. Been pruning some nice spreading canopies on some blue oaks this week. Jamie, its a great tool. Never did get to try a production model till now. Nicely done sir.

I’d love to get my hands on one of the older GoFundMe ones. Love the look of it and the tending point looks better.
Very happy with my Rock Exotica one. Using it as a lanyard adjuster these days, but only because I want more familiarity with the HH2, it’s very cool having a 30’ lanyard that can be used as an SRT system or like normal flip line. Not approved cordage for it, but it’s working fine on 11mm Velocity. Will probably get smoother as the new Velocity breaks in.
I use it on Fly and Xstatic, when both of those ropes were new, the Akimbo was kinda grabby and jerky on them until I washed the ropes. The performance difference is like night and day, it’s buttery smooth now on both of those ropes.

You know, me telling Jaime to do the GoFundMe thing, getting behind it with a grand and the rest of the TreeHouse gang supporting it was just such a fine thing.
Still makes me feel good, when I think about it.

I remember seeing it in the morning and thinking "Sweet, I'll do that when I get home" and by the evening, all had sold. Very cool

So Stig, of the two versions, do you have any preference?

The Rock exotica is more compact, which is nice, but on the whole they are the same.

It was fun to be the only ones in the country with akimbos till the final version came out.

One of the apprentices showed it at the forestry school and the teachers and students were all agog over it.

I went in to an arborist shop to buy a new rope and brough the akimbo with me to try on it.

The guy in the shop totally freaked when he saw it, took pictures of it and put on their facebook page, like:" look what we had in the store today!!!"

The Rock exotica is more compact, which is nice, but on the whole they are the same.

It was fun to be the only ones in the country with akimbos till the final version came out.

One of the apprentices showed it at the forestry school and the teachers and students were all agog over it.

I went in to an arborist shop to buy a new rope and brough the akimbo with me to try on it.

The guy in the shop totally freaked when he saw it, took pictures of it and put on their facebook page, like:" look what we had in the store today!!!"

That's awesome that they knew what it was!

I just picked up a Rock Exotica Akimbo. Nothing wrong with my GoFundMe Akimbo but I do still need tax write-offs, and besides, it's shiny.

Though I have not yet had a chance to use it, my first impression is that it is much more refined. It is lighter, 9.2oz. as opposed to 11oz. That may not sound like much but it is easily felt when holding each one.

I'm not sure if I will like the quick release tending point, but I will give it some time as it's not a bad idea. I suspect it will be easy to deactivate the spring if needed.

A tool of this sort will need to be "run-in". The pre-shaped cams are just a starting point of what will work best for your weight and rope choice. Tiny changes in that shape will make a big difference. Also, you will not likely succeed in maximizing smoothness by being tentative. Set it up so it is working and then make some long runs at the speed you will need for hitting limbs on big swings. This is just as important as picking the best rope. Trying to maximize its potential by creeping down the line would be similar to never getting out of an idle with an engine. It needs to be run the way you plan to use it. This happens to be true with the HH also.

DMc, to my knowledge you never post pics nor descriptions of any jobs you do. You mention above about speed and long runs, I'd love to hear or see some about your work. :rockon:

Back