This is the Akimbo

A picture would help that description.

I was getting dialed in on Poison-Hyvee.

Working a spar down, I got a bit of floppy slack, when I went to sit down in my saddle after spurring down, the oval biner sorta hung up a bit, flipped over the "spine".

That was my stupid phone double posting.

Pictures are great for explaining stuff like this.

Sean, definitely keep an eye on the carabiner. Rock had the good sense to put a recommendation in the manual that ithe Akimbo should be used with a carabiner with a corner trap. Of course we recommend the rock exotica Rock-o wire keeper carabiner ;)

That was my stupid phone double posting.

Pictures are great for explaining stuff like this.

Sean, definitely keep an eye on the carabiner. Rock had the good sense to put a recommendation in the manual that ithe Akimbo should be used with a carabiner with a corner trap. Of course we recommend the rock exotica Rock-o wire keeper carabiner ;)

I don't know if the corner trap will prevent inversion, or just cross loading. I saw the Rock-O with keeper wire. I'll look to improve my connection.

With Akimbo 2.0, I suggest build the price of the biner into the product.

For an experienced climber, its such a smooth treat!!

Bermy, that's what I got often in the pines, spruces or cedrus. I don't use a false crotch but a piece of a tubular webbing as a cambium saver. Handy for my style, but that spreads very well the occasional pitch on the rope. The cedrus are usually less pitchy than the others, except if they have been wounded.

2 weeks ago, I put my both ropes over an unseen glob of pitch, just at the top of a 65' cedrus atlantica. I "cleaned" the mess the best as I can up there, but that made the day a bit more complicated, overall for the next cedrus, around 90'. My solution when the Akimbo becomes stuck by the pitch is the same as yours : release the load on it (Pantin is handy), free the rope in the cams, give a little slack and reload it a bit lower. It helps to slide the Akimbo by keeping the lower half nose down to get a straight path for the pitchy rope.
That's a slow descent. You are free to go up though. :D

Avoid the pitch to keep it working. It isn't easy. Pitch sucks.

Breaking news, I just got an email from Bailey's advertising for the release of the Akimbo:big-jump:

Also, in pitchy situations it can help to switch to drt/mrs, easier to release and you can use the Akimbo more like a mechanical Blake’s hitch.

It is amazing how much slicker the new Rock Exotica model is compared to the first ones out.
They have taken a great tool and made it even better.

I should have taken a picture of one of the new ones.
Too late, I've already passed them on to the guys.

They are simply way better machined.
Really fine craftsmanship, like we are used to from Rock Exotica.

Jaime, can you maybe put up a picture of the new one next to the old ones.

First post of the thread shows the original.

I flew mine some more today, on a long lanyard. My 11mm HTP was not having it.

Is New England Escalator considered access-only, or work-compatible? I have some that I've never climbed on, bought in a package. Any ideas on it?

Interesting list of approved ropes for use with the Akimbo on the RE site. Your 11mm Sterling is not one of them Sean, if I read it right.

Interesting list of approved ropes for use with the Akimbo on the RE site. Your 11mm Sterling is not one of them, if I read it right. Too skinny, I guess.

Interesting list of approved ropes for use with the Akimbo on the RE site. Your 11mm Sterling is not one of them Sean, if I read it right.

Interesting in that they list a bunch of approved ropes and then the photos on the RE website show it setup with Cougar Orange. Not on the list.

Back