Awesome Old Growth Vid

Jed

TreeHouser
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I0K5XwmGmuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Steve. Butch needs to throw up is thing again about how NOT to post vids. I do it wrong every single time. :hammer:

That was pretty cool. Interesting how back in the day, even though technology was primitive, they still managed to utilize absolute brute force in their machinery and rigging. Also interesting to note that back then there was still plenty of pecker pole dog hair, not just all wall to wall giant trees.

Whoah that wood splitter dude was a monster.

Seems like if something wasn't dangerous, they didn't do it.

If I cyphered right, they were grossing $560k per year. Big bucks, though they did have to build their own damn railroad to get the product out.

Intersting sayings they had for hustle. I never heard those but I did always like for the choker setters, "in for your job, out for your life":lol:

I've never been around a logging operation but it looks supremely dangerous. Makes taking trees down look like child's play.

Brute, massive forces, snaking, whipping cables...that log/spin at 16:00 is mind boggling.

I think I saw a powered cross cut saw at 12:00 or so.

Very cool Jed, thanks. I love to watch and learn and wonder what it was like in those days. Watching the climber limbing his way up and then topping the spar tree with an axe is amazing to me. With no other rope except his flip line and a tether for his axe. No connection to the ground, no water, standing on his gaffs and chopping all day long at over 100 feet. They were real men. The best of us today are wimps in comparison. But at least they were well paid, $1.00 or $1.25 a day!

Back