Gibbs product backing compared to Petzl / Kong

Altissimus

TreeHouser
...Used gear , yep they actually fix the broken spring. Cheap and easy. Just try getting Petzl(though a fine French family name) to fix a used item Noooooo way. Kong won't even answer inquires. Good on Gibbs (and Pelican as well) .... Actual service. Amazing ! (Though I figure there is some chance they are all Mormons)

Gibs was the first ascender I ever bought. Back in 82, if I recall correctly. I built a frog system to ascend single line. My early years in srt. Much has happened since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have had one on my safety for many years and another bigger one for rigging. Old reliables , never a problem. Ski Patrol gave me an old 1/2" with broken spring which I have even used with a rubber band ...factory fix for about twenty bucks include shipping , a bargain I say.

I've had a Gibbs on my wirecore flip lines for 18 years. Never had a problem with it. It's old and a bit bulky but it shows no signs of wearing out so I'm sticking with it.

Wow, Peter Gibbs is one bright dude!

We have one of the 3/4" capacity ones which serves as a poor man's winch for the kubota- biner it to the hook on the bucket, thread some old bull line into it and tie off the other end to some huge log/brush pile/etc, raise bucket high and back up the tractor 15' or as room permits, move tractor forward as groundy takes up slack, repeat. Surprisingly fast and productive, crazy cheap.

Yep the 3/4 on my 5/8 Bull ... Saves alot of tying off and reknoting , use it for pull trees as well saves time and assache pretensioning line. Just got the old one back , Gibbs actually upgraded it a bit.

...Used gear , yep they actually fix the broken spring. Cheap and easy. Just try getting Petzl(though a fine French family name) to fix a used item Noooooo way. Kong won't even answer inquires. Good on Gibbs (and Pelican as well) .... Actual service. Amazing ! (Though I figure there is some chance they are all Mormons)

Thanks for starting this thread, and for the endorsement of the Gibbs ascender, and for letting us all know how good their customer service is. I own a Cmi version, but now that I know about the quality of customer service, I'll give Gibbs a go the next time I need to buy one. Thanks again.

Tim

...oh I swear by CMI... Never had an issue needing service. MUCH tougher construction than most brands. Gibbs / CMI yes ....Petzl / Kong no

... Made a small mistake the other day , my Large Gibbs now looks like a Soft Shell Taco w a Problem. Sucks to break old reliable friends , Gibbs said ship it and they will fix it no worries. Since the shell is now junk I am having it re-fit w steel.

...well they DO charge a fee but worth it I say. Not sure what Steel Shell will cost yet plus labor but spring replacement / upgrade is $15.00 plus ship.

Back again , need new shell and spring on my bigger rigging Gibbs. Still cheap and easy , great outfit for sure.