SRT uses for quick links

Porkbrick

TreeHouser
i recently discovered that steel quick links have a ton of potential as SRT redirects.
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zdb5cf7PtDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like it :thumbup:

Is there any reason not to setup the floating crotch with carabiner like in this picture? I even threw in a micro pulley for bonus points! It would still be retrievable with a basal anchor.

20150804_164826.jpg

I like it :thumbup:

Is there any reason not to setup the floating crotch with carabiner like in this picture? I even threw in a micro pulley for bonus points! It would still be retrievable with a basal anchor.

View attachment 62577

Nice avatar man! You've probably seen Jonny Provenzale... the "floating, adjustable, retrievable anchor," guy. If not... youtube him, man... he's a trip.

Nice avatar man! You've probably seen Jonny Provenzale... the "floating, adjustable, retrievable anchor," guy. If not... youtube him, man... he's a trip.

Wow, that's intense and hilarious. Thanks for sharing, but now I gotta get me one of them rope runners :D

Wow, that's intense and hilarious. Thanks for sharing, but now I gotta get me one of them rope runners :D

Ditto: That's what (on both accounts) we all say after we see that guy, even if Sean Ruel has the audacity to argue that The Bulldog Bone might be a better device than the Rope Runner. I'm like, "Man... I just want what that crazy guy has!"

You should also watch this video of Johnny, which is my favorite, and the one that started all the ruckus, I think.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nxj8vZMuP0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It was shot and edited by a friend of his, who is a professional videographer, I believe. His friend's name is Jeffry Traynor, I believe. This video originally had a different sound track than it does now, which I preferred, but the video itself has not changed. It shows a bunch of techniques in a short period of time, some of which I had never before seen anyone else do. Note that JohnnyPro has two Rope Runners in use at the same time during portions of this video. Groundbreaking techniques displayed here.

Tim

P.S. The original version of the video had the more compelling title "Pizza and Beer". I think it might have been based on the idea that sometimes you just have to try doing new and different things in order to possibly discover greatness. Just like JohnnyPro did with his twin rope technique.

Last edited:
Also, welcome to the TreeHouse, Hunnicutt! My name is Tim. There are a lot of really nice folks on this forum, so I hope you enjoy your time here.

Tim

i recently discovered that steel quick links have a ton of potential as SRT redirects.
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zdb5cf7PtDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for posting this video, Porkbrick! I'm thinking it might be just what the doctor ordered! The retrievable redirect is indeed the Holy Grail.
This may be the technique I've been looking for that allows me to leave my Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker on the rope, saving me labor, time, and possible risk of dropping gear. I'm definitely going to give this a try.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Tim

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Hey Porkbrick! I hope you do not mind, but I've saved your video on my hard drive in a newly created folder called "SRT Redirect Videos". I did it by (using Windows 7) right clicking on the link for your video, selecting "copy video url" from the drop-down menu, and then opening up a new webpage for this website.

http://keepvid.com/

Once you are on that webpage, just ignore all of the banner ads trying to sell you specialized software. Just put your mouse cursor into the long, thin box at the top center of the page, and left click to get the box clear of any text that might already be there, and to see the little flashing bar that indicates that your cursor is indeed set inside the long, thin, now empty box. Then "right click" and select "Paste" from the drop-down menu. This will input the url for the video you wish to keep into the box. Then click on a button that I think is near the top right of the screen. (I'm typing this from memory on my handheld computer, and cannot verify the exact name of the button at the present time). It should generate a list of alternative resolutions in which to save the video. Select the one you want, and tell it where you want to save it to. I think one more left click does the trick, and saves it to your hard drive for future reference.

The advantage of this for me is that often times an internet connection can be slow or "laggy", and videos just will not play smoothly in high resolution over the internet, from YouTube, at least. It also means I have a well organized reference library of climbing and rigging videos that can be watched even if my internet connection has failed or is nonexistant at the moment.

Thanks again for posting the video, and for sharing your knowledge.

Tim

Also, welcome to the TreeHouse, Hunnicutt! My name is Tim. There are a lot of really nice folks on this forum, so I hope you enjoy your time here.

Tim

Hey Tim, good to meet ya! I'm Kyle. Yeah, I'm really enjoying the atmosphere around here. Years ago I used to browse a different..... arborist site..... and it was impossible to read because 3/4 of the posts were boasting, trolling, or flaming.

Back