Loggers get life in prison for illegal cutting

Unable to read the article without a subscription, but you probably can figure that there is also corruption involved with some officials in both countries that aren't getting their hands dirty doing the work. A similar thing goes on with the forced conscription of North Korean workers in the forests of Siberia. The poor man suffers while the people that really create the situation stay immune to prosecution, is often how it works.

I guess they felt it was time to make an example out of this bunch.

Illegal logging has been a HUGE problem in Myanmar for years.
The wood was smuggled into Thailand and sold from there to avoid the embargo.

The Danish company DLH has been caught red handed with timber from Myanmar 3 times.

That sure doesn't help the situation.

"No evidence or independent witnesses were presented to the court during the trials. Each defendant was given less than 15 minutes to be heard by the presiding judge."
Sounds like a heck of a court system

Right, Ray, like the verdict was a given even before the trial. Was there a defence lawyer, and did they bother to even stay awake?

Imagine a bunch of Chinese suddenly started felling the trees in Prairie Creek Redwood National Park, loading them on trucks and taking them over the border into Canada by night.

I think even your court system might get a little hasty with them.

Heh, us Canadians wouldn't need help. We could log and truck those across the border ourselves! Then we'd ship them to China, along with tankers full of tar sands bitumen to run their mills with!

Imagine a bunch of Chinese suddenly started felling the trees in Prairie Creek Redwood National Park, loading them on trucks and taking them over the border into Canada by night.

I think even your court system might get a little hasty with them.
They'd probably be granted immunity by the current administration and given a waiver to clearcut the entire park with the agreement that the federal government would buy the timber back at quadruple the market value, given voting rights and put on the welfare/food stamp roles in the name of foreign relations.;)

Back