Cabling question for Ohio Champ American Basswood

Simply ask Rigguy himself whether any cable mfr anywhere has given his products their endorsements?

Anytime you mess with a cable's natural lay and configuration? You can kiss any and all mfr's endorsements good bye.

And rightly so!

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I gave the Bartlett info to the owner. They're going to call Monday. I will keep you up to date on the tree and any work that gets done to it. Thanks again for all of the information. I appreciate it.

Cool. I've only cabled a handful of trees, most around here don't seem to want to pay for it if they need it. Or maybe I was just no good at selling it.

A beauty for certain. I hope they follow through and preserve the tree with a proper job of it. Sounds like the cables were placed too low and poor anchors or wrong anchors. Be nice to be in on that. Climb and prune a champion, help preserve it. Rewarding work. :)

Dealing with split fat boys pretty much demands the very best through bolt anchors available, particularly in the one inch category.

http://www.chicagohardware.com/catalog/14_15_eyebolts.pdf

These drop forged n galvanized through bolts have never once failed me, at least never in an above ground in the tree application.

Fascinating how much more corrosive forces there are in the ground than above it.

Guyed a tree into a concrete block with a 3/4 inch Chicago though bolt at just the right angle upward encased within it, all buried about 2-3 inches below ground, just enough dirt to keep the lawn alive, reflective perforated pvc covers over the 7/16ths ehs cable's coming up from the eyebolts, which had to endure the transition from air to soil, which is exactly where they failed, only about 6 years later, directly due to corrosion at that transition point.

Gotta be something electrical goin on there that speeds things up, at least in a chemical sense?

http://www.galvanizeit.org/hot-dip-galvanizing/how-long-does-hdg-last/in-soil

Jomo

I'll be in Cincinnati in October to present at KY-ISA and can do it then. Experience suggests that I'll be <1/2 the price of that company in yellow trucks, and do it as well or better. They always overspec the invasive technology, to C their A.
I'll need some basic help if you are available to sub. o and if you want to come down to Cincy it won't be boring. :)

Starting and finishing the day talkin bout standard practices:

10 a.m. Regenerating Hollow Trees for Life: Using International Pruning Standards:
Hollowing benefits trees naturally, by recycling waste products, losing weight, and gaining flexibility--internal decay is their friend! See how easy and affordable it is to sell and perform tree regeneration, using German, British, Chinese, and US Standards. As trees respond with regeneration, tree owners and arborists learn to work with, and trust, the tree.

3:00 p.m. Tree Inspection and Diagnosis using the ANSI Standard
The German ZTV and the new ANSI A300 Part 8 Standards guide your inspection of the trunk, flare and roots--the nitty-gritty of diagnosis and assessment. After gaining information from its lower parts, you can successfully manage the whole tree.

Wait till October n hope the wind don't blow just right in the meantime Guy?

No temporary bull line to hold stuff together until the half price blue plate special's in town?

Whadda bout the state champ while you're puttin on your make up mate?

Jomo

Sure, temporary ropes are great but who's gonna put em in? OP said "those cables are pretty high. I'd be shaking like a poodle poopin' peach pits.", which was positively poetic.

We're always hopin' the wind don't blow just wrong. No recent cracking evident in this one. I also might be up around Labor Day...

Blue plate hahahabut it's funny tho some are blinded by smoke and mirrors and pay double to get a lesser service.

Alright Guy, let's pretend the job's yours n all you have to order up your supplies are the pics presented thus far?

Rods n through bolt cabling, 3 each?

What's your prescription spiel in this high profile scenario Doctor?

Surely not Rigguy?

Jomo

Hardware is essentially a fixed cost in cabling and bracing job. The real factor is the number of cables needed and distance apart. Two guys in the tree can really help but there are tricks to getting it done with one climber, although time consuming.

Brace rods can be a real wild card and I think should always be a time and material job. I've had to back a lot of long bits out with a pipe wrench after getting them stuck.

Jomo, long bits can still be bought from American Arborist Supply out of Philadelphia FYI. They aren't in the catalog but you can call them and they will hook you up. I bought a 8 footer from them last time when I used to order tree support supplies. They also stock the Chicago hardware. Some suppliers sell the chinese knockoffs.

Hah! I lost a long drill bit in a high profile client's cork oak Q. Suber and left it, just drilled another hole a few inches up n over!

What kinda drill motor do you use to push 5-6 feet through a hardwood tree's base?

IME it's an absolute nightmare unless done extremely methodically, like pulling the bit out n cleaning the bore every three friggin inches, and once you're in deep, it takes a helluva lotta muscle to pull it back and clear that bore without reversing the drill motor.

Jomo

Milwaukee Hole Hawg. Gas drills just don't have the torque. They bog down, and can't get back up to speed.

I always used to use progressively larger bits, starting with say, a 2 foot long bit, and I might go through two more larger sizes before getting into an 8 foot. I also lubricated it with bar oil every so often. your right, you have to clean out the bore constantly.

The hardest part of using a long bit like that, if you are climbing , is positioning yourself. Luckily, those jobs are pretty infrequent.

I worked for Bartlett, which I admit can be a little cable heavy (not trying to bait Guy here), but on the flipside, I probably installed more cables and rods every month than most tree guys install in a career.

Anything much longer than a 2 foot bit while aloft gets its own rope to take the weight of the motor n bit.

Building scaffolding around the base works for super long drilling, so does backing your tool truck up next to the base in drilling atop your toolboxes!

I go all electric with a generator for long bores in remote areas.

Jomo

Yep, I've tied the drill off, even used a second climber to help move me around while I drill. I will admit to mis-aligning the drill and drilling offset and having to plug the hole with a stub on occasion.

Cabling and bracing is becoming a lost art for sure, not many people left who can hand wrap soft lay cable anymore.

I use extensions for drilling longer holes though I don't think I've drilled longer than about 3.5 feet diameter.
I used J lags early on without incident. Only lags I've seen fail over the years had been installed in hollow limbs, installer should have known not to use them there. As to the rigguy, we used similar type wedge grips when yarder logging to hold the hook into the end of the cable. It never pulled out.

sotc yes wedgegrips have never failed me either. Using them to drag logs must have been quite a test!

Valley, Cable heavy yes, and rod heavier. The Kile Oak SE of Indy is a testament to wasted $teel--and a magnet for lightning!
Apparently, no lessons learned from the Wye Oak. :(

Jomo I typically pack extra mtl, and never spec based on images that are so incomplete. It would be a mistake to consider rods necessary, without considering the alternatives.

Guy, from what I just read of the Wye oak, it blew over, not destroyed by lightening. What's the story?

Tilia's can live thousands of years!

Jomo

Care to back that up with some examples.
Olsdest ones I know of are in the near 300 and they were pollarded and kept right, which actually adds to the lifespan.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Treelooker, you inbox is full and cannot accept new messages. Could you please send me a contact number or email? I know that the owners are going to contact Bartlett, but I'm sure they'd like to get your opinion as well. As for help, I could help from the ground or low in the tree, but I'd be pretty useless in the crown. I have some friends that dance around at 100+ though. They may be able to assist higher.