Cabling question for Ohio Champ American Basswood

Haha, like the rest of us. You just said your name was attached to the comment but I don't know who you are. Must be on the buzz?

I remember that article. Are you the same person that invented that brace rod jig in TCI Magazine a few years back?

Nah, just the leather cambium saver, comm visor, sky spider, chipper safety gate, tree slave, wind rocker, cabling alignment tubes, innoculator gaffs, and the stand up overhead T bar climbing harness system's my latest endeavor.

Jomo

Interesting read, too bad they didn't have better images of it in use. Kinda ironic they advertised the wedge grips in your article!

My biggest beef with wedge grips is that it unwinds the cable's compact natural configuration, puts 6 of the seven strands individually into a vice and squishes them, ruining the galvanized coating, then hiding all that corrosion inducing damage to the cable's critical anchored section away where it can't be inspected once enveloped by the cambium.

My second biggest beef with cable through a drilled hole system's the egging out of the cable entrance holes due to lateral cross winds causing the cable to enlarge the entrance by cable on wood friction n wear. Wear that's normally isolated n confined to a metal on metal junction between eyebolt n thimble using traditional steel cabling hardware.

So when the Rigguy system gets hit by a spring/summer crosswind and opens a wound during the height of beetle flight n invasion season, ringing the pheromone dinner bell?

Jomo

Do you have any proof to support you claims? So far in all of my Rigguy cable inspections I have not seen what you are talking about.

flush he's mixed up the names. wedgegrips do NOT require untwisting the 7-strand cable, but they did come out after 1950, so he'll find some defect in them no doubt...but Jon is in big company; the ultraconservative corporations that dominate A300 give similar short shrift to terminal fasteners, with a similar lack of references.

this 'hole enlargement' scare is the new bogeyman; in the same vein as the horror over interior decay. I just reviewed a report wherein a heritage tree was condemned after their shiny toys showed the tree was 34% hollow, which is no issue whatsoever...Hack consulting.

But if you have inspected cabling you have seen hole enlargement right? Here is some in a locust. i could have installed a second cable to lessen movement and hole enlargement, but it did not seem justified.

Starhill cable through locust 1501.jpg

flush he's mixed up the names. wedgegrips do NOT require untwisting the 7-strand cable, but they did come out after 1950, so he'll find some defect in them no doubt...but Jon is in big company; the ultraconservative corporations that dominate A300 give similar short shrift to terminal fasteners, with a similar lack of references.

There's a world of difference between Rigguy's wedge grips, which suck, and Preformed Line Product's wedge grips, that are far superior precisely because they don't mess with lay of cable in any way, no unwinding whatsoever.

http://www.preformed.com/index.php?...44:application-procedures&Itemid=212&start=20

And you know that Guy, so what gives?

Jomo

[How strong is a Wire Stop®?

Wire Stops® are pull-tested with hydraulic cylinders. Pressure is applied to the cabling system to test its durability and strength. In all our testing, the EHS strand being held by the Wire Stop® fails before any sign of failure of the Wire Stop®

Simply ask Mr. Rigguy whether or not his deally bobs meet the cable mfr's published rated breaking strength?...

The above statement was taken from the Rigguy website. Speculation on how something will work or theorizing on modes of failure do not trump actual field trials. From what I have witnessed in the field, the Rigguy system works very well.

[How strong is a Wire Stop®?

Wire Stops® are pull-tested with hydraulic cylinders. Pressure is applied to the cabling system to test its durability and strength. In all our testing, the EHS strand being held by the Wire Stop® fails before any sign of failure of the Wire Stop®

The above statement was taken from the Rigguy website. Speculation on how something will work or theorizing on modes of failure do not trump actual field trials. From what I have witnessed in the field, the Rigguy system works very well.

But does it meet the EHS cable's RBS?

Even PLP's not goofy enough to make that claim with their superior design wedge grips! Put 10k lbs of pull on Rigguy's termination, and of course the cable fails first, cuz the wedge grip cut it like a pair of dykes!
Can a 3/8ths EHS Rigguy wedge grip meet the cable's RBS 15k plus lbs of pull, like the PLP dead end grip does?

Jomo

this 'hole enlargement' scare is the new bogeyman; in the same vein as the horror over interior decay. I just reviewed a report wherein a heritage tree was condemned after their shiny toys showed the tree was 34% hollow, which is no issue whatsoever...Hack consulting.

But if you have inspected cabling you have seen hole enlargement right? Here is some in a locust. i could have installed a second cable to lessen movement and hole enlargement, but it did not seem justified.

View attachment 62359

I have not seen it in my cables as of yet but I have only been using Rigguy for three years now. Also all of the cables are in trees that have already split to some degree. Prevention is a tough sell around here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Put 10k lbs of pull on Rigguy's termination, and of course the cable fails first, cuz the wedge grip cut it like a pair of dykes!"

Jon, your rant would be less incoherent if you stop referring to Wirestops as Wedgegrips.

The cables do NOT break near the end, so the strand separation apparently has nothing to do with the cable failure.

And let's not get women with sensible shoes involved here, or Hitler will not be far behind! Or are 'dykes' some kind of tool?

They are what keeps Holland from being swallowed by the sea, but only so long there is small boys around to stick their fingers in them.

So Preformed Line Products tests their dead end grips to 100 percent of the rated breaking strength of the EHS cable, and publishes the result as a selling point for their dead end grips, but doesn't for their wedge grips.

I wonder why?

Believe it or not, I've gotta put my boots on and actually do some work today guys.

Jomo

I watched wedgegrips get tested at the PLP lab, with the rest of the A300 committee, in 2009(?). the 3/8" EHS broke at about 15,700# of pull. Wedgegrips held.

Any selectivity in publishing (if there is any) might be due to corporate pressure to discourage change, or PLP's own marketing. but I'll sell you the video, for a price...

But that's the very point I'm trying to make, I've got no beef with PLP whatsoever, have used their dead end grips since the early 90's. Never used their wedge grips, but appreciate their superior design when compared to Rigguy's.

You'll note that PLP's design doesn't mess with the cable's natural config, and they spread forces exerted by the wedge onto the cable over a much longer length of cable.

My beef's with Rigguy's design, not PLP's, however even PLP's wedge grip design doesn't solve the egged out cable entrance hole conundrum.

Jomo

Having watched the repeated callusing in those teeny holes, I'll take that conundrum over the "Big fat hole for an eyebolt, higher material costs, and more time and effort" fiasco.

:P

Having watched the repeated callusing in those teeny holes, I'll take that conundrum over the "Big fat hole for an eyebolt, higher material costs, and more time and effort" fiasco.

:P

You're old enough to know that good things tend to require a lot of time and painstaking effort Guy, like say fine class one pruning?

Cabling's pretty serious stuff, not like hanging Xmas lights n tire swings, and we both know a whole lotta sub-par cabling goes on everyday. They galvanize that EHS cable for a very good reason, so the cable'll last 20-30 years, and by that time an additional cable'll be warranted cuz the old one's now too low.

Don't make me come out there and determine how well aligned your cable's are Guy!

Jomo

"Put 10k lbs of pull on Rigguy's termination, and of course the cable fails first, cuz the wedge grip cut it like a pair of dykes!"

Jon, your rant would be less incoherent if you stop referring to Wirestops as Wedgegrips.

The cables do NOT break near the end, so the strand separation apparently has nothing to do with the cable failure.

And let's not get women with sensible shoes involved here, or Hitler will not be far behind! Or are 'dykes' some kind of tool?

Dykes = diagonal wire cutters