Working in the heat of South Florida?

Algenib

TreeHouser
Hey everyone. I'm originally from way up north, but I moved to Florida a couple years ago. I've been interested in arboriculture for a while now, but the only thing preventing me from hitting up companies and trying to get a groundie job is the heat and humidity we have down here. Are there any tips you have? I really want to pursue tree work, but I just don't know if I can hack it in this crazy heat we have April - November, and I'd rather not waste an employers time by showing up for a few days before realizing I can't handle it.

Anybody have ideas for how to handle the heat? Just start exercising in the heat of the day to adapt? Get a vest full of ice? Does anybody know what the general work culture for arborists is like in South Florida?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the TreeHouse! What is your first name? Algenib doesn't roll off the tongue very easily. My name's Butch.

Yep - coolvest and neck wraps FTW!

Pace yourself, pre hydrate and the being acclimated helps the first summer for me here was brutal. Now 90 degrees and I'm barley breaking a sweat. Iced camel pac helps when over 95. I should get cool vests but I'm a glutton for punishment. Welcome.

Regarding prehydrating: use chia seeds.

You remember:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436025140.004849.jpg

The seeds look like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436025168.503728.jpg

The night before and the morning of work, make some drinks with a couple spoons of seeds in it. Personally, my hydration combo is 60% OJ, 40 water, then about 2 tablespoons of chia. Let it sit for ten minutes then drink it.

When the chia gets when it gets slimy. What you're feeling is thousands of tiny hairs that are opening up and holding onto the water. It will slow-release the water into your system instead of you just peeing it all out an hour later.

I read a few things about it on line and when i started trying it, I noticed that it made me pee more often, but less at a time...which made me think it actually was working.

Chia is a little expensive: $10-20 a pound. But unless you're eating it as often as me, a pound will probably last you 6 months.

love
nick

How South in South Florida are you? Check out Dot Palm...they were looking for people not to long ago.

Heat is heat, then throw humidity in there, it's nasty...being WELL hydrated before work is essential, it can take a couple days before to attain good hydration.
Cold drinks, sipped not gulped. Avoid going without liquid for a long time then having a big drink, leads to 'sloshy tummy' and is uncomfortable!

I would fill and freeze my camelback the night before, then as it defrosts it's a nice cool spot on your back, and you can sip at it all day. Refill with icecubes and liquid.
Gatorade/water 50% or water with lemon and a pinch of salt.

I would also soak my hair with the garden hose till wringing wet, plonk my helmet on top...the evaporation of the water from your hair helps a lot!

Long sleeves, loose fitting shirt...
Take it easy for the first couple days...hard to do if you are working for someone and want to keep up...but be sensible.

Good Luck

At lunch i eat a lot of salt on my food, saves for the rest of the day, Iced camel pak and always highdrate the night before not the same day....And like i have said before monitor your pee. Dark yellow = drink water and drive on. I work here in gulf breeze fl. So i understand what your saying , Also, more water then poweraide . I hope this helps.

Yea im here. Been busy . Im trying to upload my video of me topping a bull pine like MB on his shirt but I can't remember my youtube stuff.

Back