Pizza oven

sotc

Dormant hero!!
Thinking it would be fun to build an outdoor, wood fired pizza oven at our new place. I've been doing some reading but wondered if any of you have built them and what you'd do differently if you have?

Jaime's worked great. I have seen some more elaborate ones, always figured wayyyyy too much money. I liked the simplicity of his, yet would make the oven chamber a tad bigger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Expensive? I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money but do want it to look nice.

I built one for a friend of mine. We followed a book called the Bread Builders or something. It was very expensive I wanna say around 10'g just for the oven itself. Bear in mind the thing was 6'x6' interior with a slate roof with copper trim.

Best one I've seen belongs to a fellow logger.
He took a worn out wood fired furnace. placed it in his garden. build a chimney. filled the bottom part of the furnace with concrete and started making pizzas.
Ugly as sin, so it doesn't fit your idea, but it sure makes great pizzas.

I do work for a chef who has a wood fired oven in his restaurant. Nothing more than a fire at one side and the pizza on the other, just a large firebox built with fancy materials.

We followed a book called the Bread Builders or something.

I would suggest reading Alan Scott's philosophy on wood fired bread ovens. His book, "The Bread Builders" is a good one. Alan died some years ago, and a fine man he was. I knew him from way back, and he was a dedicated person to the art of making bread, travelling to different countries to give workshops and build ovens. A great blacksmith at one time. His wife runs his site now and former business, I believe. His ovens can be great for pizza as well. http://ovencrafters.net They sell plans and accessories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
10 grand for a pizza oven, holey crapola.
No doubt, outside my budget by a touch.
I would suggest reading Alan Scott's philosophy on wood fired bread ovens. His book, "The Bread Builders" is a good one. Alan died some years ago, and a fine man he was. I knew him from way back, and he was a dedicated person to the art of making bread, travelling to different countries to give workshops and build ovens. A great blacksmith at one time. His wife runs his site now and former business, I believe. His ovens can be great for pizza as well. http://ovencrafters.net They sell plans and accessories.
Thanks Jay, I'll check it out. I want to research lots so i do it right the first time.

10 grand for a pizza oven, holey crapola.
He used a bunch of insulation that was not part of the books plans that ran up the cost by quite a bit. Spun glass space age stuff, glass bead mixed in to the mortar, and refractory flue set for the fire bricks that was $50-60 a gallon bucket.

Yep that was the book, cool you knew the man. Nice link!

mine was dirt cheap. literally! it may not look prety but thats nothing a good coat of plaster wont fix. it works great. look up cob ovens
IMG_1387.jpg

Back