Recipe for sourdough buckwheat pancakes anyone?

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
I've been making sourdough pancakes since I learned how to do it in Idaho back in 81.
I've also been making Russian buckwheat blinis for about as long.

I just had an idea today, why not combine the two and make a sourdough buckwheat pancake batter.

Before starting out on my own, I figured I'd see if anybody here had a recipe?

Never heard of such a thing. Sounds good though. The oldest starter I knew of died with the old woman who had it. She claimed she was third generation with it. She would have known Stig.

I dont even know what buckwheat looks like.

Buckwheat was the only pancakes we ate living at home, I'll be damned hungry before I eat another.

growing up...

buckwheat = boys pancakes

buttermilk = girls pancakes.

I grew up with and still eat buckwheat pancakes nearly every morning during winter.

No recipe help though...sorry Stig.

If you get it figured out please share, I'd give it a go. My only sourdough experience is my toast for breakfast during warm months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I only make pancakes on sundays.
No time on weekdays.

So far my experiments have come to making a sourdough overnight that is fairly thin/runny.
Then in the morning, after taking out a starter portion, I'll thicken it with Buckwheat flour.
That means about 1/3 will be buckwheat.
So I get the chewiness from the sourdough, and the slightly sour tang, but also the robust taste from the buckwheat.

Works fine, but I'm not done experimenting.

Boudin Bakery from Fishermans Warf in San Francisco opened a restaurant here in Santa Rosa. Sixty miles north and yet they drive up a fresh batch of starter every three weeks to keep that unique SF sourdough flavor going strong. So odd to me that different bacteria in the air could make that big a difference.

Yeah, its wild Merle. I just read a story about a cheese over in Europe that they tried to make the in the next town over. Did not taste the same. Something about the grass and the bacteria.

Keep us abreast of the situation Stig. I only make pancakes on Sunday too. Well, pancakes and some wonderful bacon.

I've never understood pancakes for breakfast. I mean... it's like eating cake, or pie, orrrrr something.

LckXL9X.gif

Exactly.
I don't understand ½ the stuff you like to eat, either.
Different strokes for different people.

My long suffering wife like to make corn fritters, a New Zealand favorite.

I dont know how to eat them. They look like pancakes, but you dont put syrup on them. The have onions and bacon in them but it does not feel right putting ketchup on a pancake!

I like hamburgers.

Yup.
Gotta read the label carefully, though.
In some brands they toss in dead anchovies.
For the anchovies I guess it is slightly better than being tossed in alive, but to me it makes no difference:big-tongue2:

Back