Powerlines

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I think I may have made a good contact today. I called a local service. He said he isn't currently looking for help because he and his son do most of the work; but if he ever needed a second climb or worker that I'm the type he's looking for. Young, no bad habits, not on drugs, so I just wanted to share. Woooo! It's the small victories. :)

If I was hot to trot to get hired, I'd show up @ 6:45 at every treeco (with my lunch packed and a pair of gloves) in my area, a different company every day. IME, Mondays are the best days to get hired.

NO phone calls. :drink:

No I'd probably would yell at them for being in my work zone
But you got to stay hungry!!
I actually like Butch's ideal!!
Everybody wants to work until its time to work.
You got to find a chance to show somebody you are serious about tree work.
Keep trying you will caugh a break sooner or later

It's not a work zone, but even that would work if you were wearing a skullbucket.

I'm talking about showing up at the shop/office, where the crews get their marching orders.

Trust me... it works. Valid driver's license, ready to work...

I'd hire a fella like that if I was looking.

Whatever it takes to get your foot in the door. The PPE part is vital. When you get the job, hustle, be observant, ask questions and take advice. Be humble, nobody wants to put up with a newbie who thinks he knows it all. If you want to be good at it, study it, live it and breathe it. When you look at trees, imagine how you would rig, dismantle, prune or fell them. When your climber does it differently, ask him (humbly) why he did it that way. Learn to tie knots with your eyes closed. And the donuts couldn't hurt either.

The imagining how I would rig, fall, prune, or set up a work one, that I do a lot. When I go out I marvel at big trees. I look for the best TIP/rigging points. I love this. I sit at home and watch youtube I bought a book on pruning. Just to get started learning that. I've got all this knowledge and no way to practice or use it. I want to learn more.

I'm built to do pglhysical labor. That's what makes me happy; being hot, sweaty, and dirty.

The guy I talked to today said that I shouldn't have a problem getting a job. There are other services I just dont know if I can afford to drive as far away as they are.

If I was hot to trot to get hired, I'd show up @ 6:45 at every treeco (with my lunch packed and a pair of gloves) in my area, a different company every day. IME, Mondays are the best days to get hired.

NO phone calls. :drink:

I feel I could get a job at about any and every place because of this. When I first started out I wanted to get into logging. First stop by the boss told me the basics of when and where and that in a few months when the season opened up he would hire his old crew back first. Second week I stopped by and he went over some of the same with me and told me a few new bits of info.. Third week he said, "Hell if your gonna be stopping by here all the time I might as well hire you." He put me to work in the shop a couple of months before the season and ahead of the normal crew who was at home happily running out their unemployment benifits.

Next year I wanted to start up with one particular tree service. They were not hiring. I told them I would come down and work free for a week....

I think Butch's method could get a person a job at about any tree service, if not today then tomorrow. I would hire a person that came to me like that.

Popper, out of curiosity, what do you do for a living now? I think you mentioned something about a lawncare company a few pages back?

You'll always have clients that need trees worked on when you're doing lawncare, you might be able to sub these services out to a good tree co. and ask to work alongside them. You get the training, a foot in the door possibly, and they get a supply of work out of it.

Agree with Butch. But, if you want to improve your chances of getting the job you most want you might want to pre-think a few things.

1)What do you most want long term in tree work?

2)Given that who would you most like to work for?

3)What can you do and offer to that boss that will make it so he would obviously say yes come work for me?

By the way every obstacle between you and a yes from the boss/owner at your ideal job is just one more point or facet to be woven into your 'irresistible offer.'

I'm an EMT. I work at Rural Metro Knoxville. I work on the ambulance side. (We have fire and EMS).

I love what I do now. I'm just not passionate about it. I dont sit at home and educate myself and dream about EMS.

I've lawncare in the past. I did it for a summer.

So would I just casually say, "Apparently, bo other company around here wants to hire a young, passionate tree climber."

Back