Only a little Sketchy

Stevo

TreeHouser
So...i got climbing finally.....fine tuned a few things......only thing I'm kinda sketched about, is my lanyard.....
Not really sketched, just not 100% comfortable with my current set-up, which is ABR Velocity Positioning Lanyard (15' Length), micro pulley, and 24" Armor-Prus 8mm Poly Sewn Eye & Eye .......originally connected directly to side D with ultra D, and have since connected micro-pulley to side D with double dog snap-thingy....and thats better....but I'm curious about this Alternate Lanyard Technique, or what ever its called, using my tail as a second climbing line????.....

Strictly rec climbing as of now, so no need for wire core stuff, but does anyone have any suggestions on anything like this???

I was looking at a Sidewinder, but need longer length.

Basically turning my climbing line into a 150'-2-in-1.....

This is what i have to work with...

CT Foot Ascender (Right Foot)
2x DMM Ultra O Carbiners
DMM Ultra D Carabiner
DMM Sentinal Carabiner
DMM Aero Bent Carabiner
HRC 8mm Eye & Eye (28" Length)
Ocean Polyester Split Tail
ABR U-Saver (5' Length)
Maillon Rapide Pear Quick Link (Medium Link)
DMM Hitch Climber Pulley
CT Micro Pulley (2P622)
CMI Nylon Loop Runner (48" Loop)
Figure 8
Armor-Prus 8mm Poly Sewn Eye & Eye (24" Length)
ABR Velocity Positioning Lanyard (15' Length)
Yale Imori 12mm Climbing Rope with Eye Splice (150' Length).......not using as climb line.....waaaayyy to stretchy
Samson blue streak is primary climb line.....
Sirius Multisling
DMM Locksafe Revolver
DMM Aluminiun anchor ring
ABR Utility Ring
and a couple DMM XsRe-mini's.....

TreeStuff.Com is the SHIZZZLE.....

Oh...that reminds me...i like those little Shizle thingys...might work better for me than a micro-pulley on my tail...err um....LANYARD..

I don't have ANY mech. prusiks at the moment, but am liking the idea of the grillion....and possibly another similar as my primary...
(got a lot more saving to do for that one, though)

Sorry for rambling.....thanks for any suggestions...(or pics ;)

I'm a little confused as to what your asking. I have used the tail as another tie in many times. I just rock a blakes hitch on it. Pretty simple. How long have you been climbing?

As a recreational climber i frequently use Richard's setup to ascent SRT and have a DdRT setup on the tail of the same rope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJkaOLxWleQ

The DdRT end can be setup with any usual DdRT setup such as a zigzag or a pulley and I-to-I for a hitch. I like a 200' rope for this since I frequently climb to ~90', it gives me enough rope to go to ground on either the SRT or DdRT end.

Lets you have both systems available without adding another rope. I use it for traverses from one tree to another and anytime my long lanyard isn't long enough.

I would not use it as a replacement for a ~15' lanyard.

I rarely clip a lanyard into my saddle's side D's since I don't climb with spurs. I have a New Tribe Onyx saddle and connect the second system or lanyard into the extra holes in the rigging plates or a second rope bridge.

Ditch that and use a rated locking carabiner.

And just use your climb line as a second lanyard to bypass limbs and whatnot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ditch that and use a rated locking carabiner.

And just use your climb line as a second lanyard to bypass limbs and whatnot.

I'm only using that to connect pulley to harness to tend hitch on lanyard....are you saying to NOT, and biner the pulley?
That's what I did originally, but went to the snap to gain some distance between pulley and side D.

I'm a little confused as to what your asking. I have used the tail as another tie in many times. I just rock a blakes hitch on it. Pretty simple. How long have you been climbing?
I have climbed a thousand times in my head, but ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY only once on rope using a DRt system.
I'm a MALE, so I've been climbing trees for 40 years, just never with a harness and ropes and lanyard. ;)

Be careful.

:thumbup:....ABSOLUTELY !

That is why i want to NOT have any "UN-easiness" when aloft with any part of system.

I have "mentally" climbed lots of times.....gone over the whole routine from laying down the duffle's, to coiling up the climb-line, over and over and over.....
but I know, nothing compares to actually DOING it, but it has prepared my mind for the deal, and to me, preparing my mind, if possible, is a very important part of ANY task.
Guess i'll just have to watch a video, set it up, and practice...whats the worst that could happen, right???

Of course, I'll only be a few feet off the ground, but doing it.

Thanks for all ya'll's input.

Stevo

Curious, how is your rope work? Any training, experience? Perhaps getting in touch with another member in your area would be an idea?

What hitch are u tying on your lanyard? I don't see why u can't run the same biner through both eyes and the pulley then connect to your saddle. I've used your setup with the snap and pulley but only when I was using a Blake's hitch

I see what you're up to. That will work fine, but it's kind of antiquated at this point.

We're talking something more like this.

DSC04558.jpg

Cheers

Do not use that snap to connect your lanyard to your D's. It is not rated for life support.
If you are baypassing a limb and are only secured by your lanyard at some point, that snap is a potential danger. It has NO safety lockout, not even a simple double action.

The picture posted above is the minimum you should have on your lanyard, although the pulley doesn't have to be one with three holes (hitch climber) it can be a simple single hole 'rescue' type pulley.

Thanks everyone. I saw the snap connected to a micro pulley in a picture somewhere, but it was a split tail/ blakes set-up i think, and, yeah, i would NEVER use that snap as a life support connecting device.

Ive been experimenting all weekend with different hitches for an adjuster on my lanyard, does anyone suggest any one in particular for use on a 15' Velocity with hitch cord being a 24"- 8mm-Armour Prus ?

I use a 4 or 6 wrap 8mm armour prus prusik on an Arbormaster 16 strand, with tending pulley. I like it, but I don't know any different.

What ever works for you is best.;)

I'm currently using a VT with 8mm Bee Line on a Platinum 10.5mm 16' lanyard and a Distel with 8mm Bee Line on a NE Fly 11mm 25' lanyard. I use both of these as short DdRT systems when advancing above my initial TIP or for positioning.

My 16' lanyard...

IMG_5203 pe copy (Small).jpg

Back