ABR Rigging Thimbles

Personally rings of any manufacture just don't fit into my day to day. Midline attachable is key IMO.

The plain ali will give more friction. Better for lowering not for lifting. I bent a ring a bit awhile ago in a2:1 sytem holding two leads of a large split elm after felling said elm. X rings are tough.

Yeah, I agree, Thomas.
My x rings have not had a pampered life by any means. They is tough buggers.

First splice ever! Locking brummel lock-stitched, whipped, and taped (no heat shrink)

It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it. 8)

DSC04554.jpg

DSC04555.jpg

ETA: It still needs some working, I'll get all the high spots ironed out.

Grendel,

It's still a very useful tool, even if it can't be remotely installed and retrieved.

I use mine as a single-ended redirect by girth hitching a loop runner to one ring. The Rig and Ring can then be used as a redirect, so long as the angle of the rigging rope isn't too high, as the bend radius on a single ring would be too much for most of our larger rigging ropes. It can also be used as a 2:1 mechanical advantage for a tag line, or control line.

Have a great day.

Joel

This site is the best, thanks guys. I'd like to make a couple more of these, possibly try a double. . . But I mean really, how many rigging thimbles does one guy need? :/:

I quoted a take down of a somewhat large spreading sugar maple, the HO suggested there's plenty of room to drop limbs..... but I see a pool, neighbour's house, fence, playset, patio, flowerbed, gates and a shed..... HO thinks it would take only 4 hours, I insisted it would be a 12 hour job.... I got the bid. I have 2 rigging rings slings, but I'm thinking I can shave off some effort goin' up and down and out to reset rigging points by having may be another 2 (or more) sets.... I do have lots of tenex layin'round doing nothing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Luke doesnt have an acct but here are his thoughts:

"Here's my take on the product launch. Any questions just let me know!

Why make your own ring?

We created our own rings because my splicers pointed out a couple safety and functional improvements that could be made over the Antal-made rings. Given the trust that tree climbers put in us... it is obviously our responsibility to put out the best product we can.

Aren't you ripping the X-Man off?

David didn't invent the low friction ring. He was the first person to take an awesome product (the Antal Low Friction Ring) and apply it to tree care. He should be honored and respected for this. Once our ring was ready for market, we offered David a few thousand dollars per year as an annual licensing fee. (We were not obligated to do this, but I felt strongly that it was the right thing to do). He declined our offer. We doubled our offer. David declined again. No drama, just two people trying to live up to their own principles.

I respect David a ton and we get along really well. For my part, we will continue to offer the X-Rings on our website and any future products that Xtreme Arborist comes out with.

Luke
luke@treestuff.com"

Bump.

I have only one piece of spliced gear, a large sling for a block, it is real nice but I am mostly a knot guy fwiw. Of course the ABR rings are at their best when spliced into the rope, but has anyone here used them tied into the line rather than spliced?

Like tenex? Is it as simple as twisting an opening in the braid and then working the end back into the rope to make an eye, maybe using a fid or pliers or a small string to pull it thru? I know next to nothing about splicing:|:

Though I didn't understand your reply, were you saying knots would work but aren't desirable?

How is Tenex for remote setting and retrieval, if someone is copying the Rig and Ring?

Mine just came and IIRC its dynasorb.

Check for a manufacturer's splicing video. Wesppur/ Niceguydave has videos. Maybe Nick, too.

True, tenex would be pretty grabby on the bark.

Back