Stump grinding tips/ tricks/ tools.

I always grind the complete stump core out on every stump I've done for over 13 years.
When I do estimates I advertise to my customers that they can plant a new tree in its place ......Probably why I have no competition as the last few local outfits didn't and are no longer in business.

Willard I have used a machine similar to yours and then a more powerful one as you know.
Once you get a really big digger in afterwards you can see no matter how hard you try there is always a fair bit left.
If it's going to be lawn afterwards I won't go too mad.

Only thing I leave behind are lateral roots in the sides of the hole and their always a couple inches below ground level. Only wood left in tthe bottom of my holes is a tap root of a pine for example
but still enough depth to plant a tree root ball.
Power is not everything, skill of the operator is. Only I have operated my stumper for those 13 years......700 series Green Teeth help too.:D

Same here so far. There seems to be 3 options people want. 4-6 inches just to thow soil over, a bit deeper where I at least break up the root ball for a nicer lawn, and root ball completely gone. The video link I posted was the root ball completely gone.

I had a little tiny shrub stump to do by the front corer of the garage. I mean less than 2 minutes of actual grinding.. Figured I didn't need the respirator ... how much dust could there be. Just as I got into the driveway the latest incarnation of chemlawn shows up and it stank so bad I was holding my breath as long as possible toil I got down the road... Just goes to show.. best to ALWAYS wear the respirator..

Yep, Liquid Amber roots go for miles and they go deep, second worst stump to do. Camphor Laurel is the worst, roots everywhere and nearly impossible to poison unless you keep at it. They smell nice at first but you soon get sick of it. Some guys get really bad headaches from them.

Chinese Tallow roots travel, you have chase them as well but nowhere as bad as those two.

Got to grind this old gal today.

Pittosporum between electric conduit, drain pipe and irrigation valve stuff.

7b1102a1823c3a9e0b4be5b9ed1cf273.jpg

9a52124b560c1d7448c2c6c7115cb72b.jpg

I may be doing these acacias Thursday.

I'm a little nervous, but I put half of Friday on it just in case.
362e2a69bec20809497447faa59d3940.jpg

3cb093357d7aecc459ce533b52850095.jpg

I put $400 on each stump with the Alpine magnum.

good number.. I was baout to say "oh jot" with sarcasm... after seeing the number I say it with the utmost sincerity. Good for getting the kind of $ that makes it a pleasure to take on such nastiness...

Acacia is a tough bugger to grind, if you can get a guy to do the top the finish it with yours, like Chris says, so much the better.

Merle, There is black acacia for days here.

I've slabbed and treated a few acacias, awesome wood, very walnutty.

The sub would want about the same price.
I'm gonna sharpen all my axes and pulaskis and bring an extra set of teeth.......and not be scared to just yard them out with the truck.

High end high density, North Beach and Embarcadero area.... We'll see.

I'm committed to being overworked right now to make more capital.

Speaking of good numbers I did about 25 mins of grinding for $450 last Friday. Was onsite for close to 2 hours including prep and clean up. It was 2 sq meters of Strelitzia (bird of paradise) which grinds like Banana Tree.

Nice job Chris.

I love birds of Paradise.

Did those acacias today that I posted the stumps of earlier in the thread.....the trees gone and chipped in hour and a half.....funking stumps took 4.5 hours.

Suspected girdle root confirmed.
3cda2542d604a0a295c785496f89a9a6.jpg

Old steel pipe, WTF!

14cad1e577efd27352fdda0c1b7e06b2.jpg

4ebe90afe613811e92a0f00a030c49a9.jpg

Changed the teeth and did this next one. Look at that rot. Luckily this one was only a repour.....4" down.

1f6c79dcdc464eeb16151b40495165d8.jpg

Lots of picking and swinging.....the whole time thinking about the next sized stumpgrinder to buy!

Sounds like an ordeal- I'm sure it would have been a relief once finished. I'm surprised that a subby would want $800 for the gig-I'm sure San Fran is expensive but I think Sydney may be even more so and there's stump grinding contractors here that will run 40-60 hp machines for $900-$1100/day. Possibly San Fran has less trees and and a less competetive tree scene, that would make sense.

Back