Woodworking

I'm going to step out of character and say something stupid. :D Has anybody given any thought to drying wood in a vacuum? Would it destroy the wood?

A lumberjock sent me this pic. Wants to know if I want this treeroid. Do I want this treeroid? It's all the way around the tree, about 24" in diameter. I told him to leave it be for now. I'd probably be dried out before it is, the Dr. already told me not to waste money on green bananas.
IMG_0692.JPG

I'm going to step out of character and say something stupid. :D Has anybody given any thought to drying wood in a vacuum? Would it destroy the wood?

I'm curious too. Do you have a big vacuum chamber?

I was messing with some little odds and ends in the over on 150-175*, 3/4" thick. Seemed ok. Don't know much yet.

I'd grab that treeroid, for sure.

There's nothing I could do with it Jay, should be a law against people like me doing anything but cut farwood.

If you want to cut some farwood. You could come up here and do it. I'm always looking for some help. :D

Heh I'm Canadian. Shovelling snow and cutting firewood is in my Blood!

I actually did a bunch of firewood on Monday. Been awhile since I've cut anything with a saw. It was quite enjoyable. But even the kid questioned why I was getting firewood in the spring. Geez whippersnapper haven't I taught you anything!:whine:

Can anybody suggest a finish for this bowl? Walnut and red oak, I think it’s red oak. Nothing with a shine, just good protection.

6A498B56-47D3-407C-BD36-513B1294DB1D.jpg
E46AECF8-6FFE-4137-8CD2-DF30F7EDC4E9.jpg

I've always been particular to Danish oil.
Nothing to do with the name, but it is a good durable finish, that will have a nice satin shine, if you take care to wipe the bowl off a couple of times while it hardens.

If you want it extra durable, thin it a bit for first application, so it gets absorbed well into the wood, let harden, then apply a second time on the lathe, with a bit of 000 steel wool.

Nice bowl. When did you become a woodturner?

I was hope’n you would chime in Stig. I know nothing about wood and less about finishing. Danish oil it is then. This is my first attempt at turning so I tried to keep it simple. A Christmas gift for my soul food connection. She likes it when I call her my brown sugar, lol. This should keep the homemade cornbread a come’n.

The only Danish oil I could find in Mayberry has stain in it so I got Tung oil. Sucks when your zip code is eieio.

Back