Logging job on Western Ma Craigslist.

In a thirty second Google search of that number, it looks as though they are selling a bunch of equipment. Could mean new equipment coming or something else. No business listing, but out of Leominster. I've got friends in Fitchburg and through Westminster out to Northfield. I'll ask around this week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Called, left message, hope for the best. Husabud, thanks for asking around and checking them out, I am very nervous, the owner has been posting since early Feb.

It looks like i have gone through all the tree care and landscape companies in Ma, it is now April, i have no choice now but pray.

What is your experience? Where are you? There are crews all around looking for help. Do you FB?

Walker, I think you'll be a shoe in. I read into their ad they want somebody who knows what to do and not really looking for somebody to train. Time is money and if you can step in and jive with the crew and turn a burn loads of wood.

"Choppers"- that's New Englandese for sawyers or fallers...

I ran into one of them at an EAB thing in 2012. Quite a character.

Dave, i have heard of you, can not remember why. Nice to meet you.

Yes, i have run a cable dozer with a 4-way brush blade and excavator with grapple claw for land and brush clearing, summer/ fall into early winter project for a golf course that led to selective logging and hand falling timber and firewood with my father in Ohio. I tried to be as low impact with the dozer using the cable more then anything. Once i drove it into a gully and rammed the blade into a stump. I could not winch it back out because it kept pulling the trees out of the ground. Finally i climbed up and using the winch, cable assist topped a big Maple, cabled that to the next tree and finally got the dozer out the next morning. the dozer had to be returned for winter logging so we split firewood for the rest of winter and spring. Some of the trees i topped and branched first before felling, this is were my climbing skills comes from.

My grandfather logged and i tagged along as a spotter and cable choker. He also had a David Bradley hand mill powered by the skidder which was a modified 1968 Hesston DT680 with winch, weights and weighted tires. The White mountains are steep in Ashfield so a lot of high line skidding was used. He taught me several ways of free hand felling and cable assist directional felling.

I worked at Lenny Roberts mills for a winter, Lenny hired me because of my grandfather. I was warned to stay away from Roberts but i worked in his mill. Needless to say lenny refuses to rehire me even though more then 10 years has passed unless i give him the ok to log off my family's estate. Fact of the matter is, the land is not mines to rent out.

Bill Lashways is another one right here in Williamsburg, my grandfather sold him a lot of timber and were friends with him and his wife. His firewood processor building burned to the ground this past fall, i might try asking him but i doubt it. I have asked him several times in the past but my idiot brother left behind a bad rep. I might ask him again this week and hope for the best.

I would much rather Arborist over logging. If there is anyone interested pm me.

Lenny was the one I ran into. He had a lot to do with maintaining the rights of sawmills as farm endeavors.

I've heard there's a dozen Lashways in Williamsburg and none of them talk to each other.:lol:

What is your experience? Where are you? There are crews all around looking for help. Do you FB?

I do not Facebook but i still have my account, we can connect if you would like. Any advice will be welcomed.

Usually i am too busy to be bothers with those things but is it becoming the thing to use now.

Dave, you are right about that, Bill, Jerry, Dennis and some of the sons don't play well together.

Thankfully i do not drink or use drugs so i stay out of the ''local'' parties here.

A update,....Made contact with the owner Bill, he is looking for someone who can provide their own equipment. Stated he just fired a guy for ''pounding'' his skidder into the ground.

No go for me.

Skidder is a tough piece of equipment, does he want a mint skidder or logs :dur:

...long time ago I actually signed a contract w Roberts Bros. Every sound log / tree over 8" dbh would have been harvested. Cashed one hundred dollar check which made contract good for a year. Had a winter just like this one and they never made it here. Of course I changed my mind deciding to hire my own skidder. Lenny was quite some PISSED OFF that I would not renew contract.

Though on the good side they are a great mill to sell junk to. Will hose you on the good logs , yet they have a bandsaw mill that they use for hollow cores , a Pallet mill too ... PLUS they buy RR Tie Stock. Low value logs can be hard to get rid of.

Skidder is a tough piece of equipment, does he want a mint skidder or logs :dur:

LOL !, I agree, Must not of been a Tigercat or John Deere. I am thinking the guy is just trying to skate through.

...long time ago I actually signed a contract w Roberts Bros. Every sound log / tree over 8" dbh would have been harvested. Cashed one hundred dollar check which made contract good for a year. Had a winter just like this one and they never made it here. Of course I changed my mind deciding to hire my own skidder. Lenny was quite some PISSED OFF that I would not renew contract.

Though on the good side they are a great mill to sell junk to. Will hose you on the good logs , yet they have a bandsaw mill that they use for hollow cores , a Pallet mill too ... PLUS they buy RR Tie Stock. Low value logs can be hard to get rid of.

I just saw the Lashways, Bill is letting go winter helpers right now, Jerry is not looking and Dave has a imaginary office on Jerry's lot. Lash-Co inc. is not looking either.

As for Lenny, the only way I can work for him is if I sell him timber off of land I do not own. My grandfather refused to let him on his land because of how he operates. Because of this Lenny will not rehire me. I did work in his mill for a winter when I was young but that is how I figured out why he hired me in the first place, for the timber and because my grandfather had just passed away.

The state tried to go after Lenny for a lot of different things. It is not easy to run a mill in Ma anymore.

Back