Anyone looking for a real skilled worker in wetsern ma ?

Walker

TreeHouser
Just got off the phone with a local tree company, I got lowballed, again, as usual. Typical New Englander.

Anyways, ....Serious inquiries only.

Where our you located in Western Mass, my name is Shawn and I have a tree company in North West CT. We are hiring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What are you looking to do and what are your qualifications?

Landscape, hardscape, groundsman (some tree climbing), orchardist, machine operator (stationary, towed and self propelled), self contract, carpentry, metal fab, welding (MIG,ARC,brazing) forging, manufacturing, heavy equipment (bulldozer,excavator,front end loader, bobcat, farm tractors/truck, compact tractors) snow plowing, snow blowing, mining (air track driller) and stone splitter.

MSHA Safety for mining (Goshen Stone)
OSHA training for industrial truck (outdoor/indoor)
Metal Fab & Welding (trade School)
Rotational Casting Operator (Hardigg Inc. now Pelican)

I may have forgotten a few, forgive me.

Edit : Felling timber, skidding, decking, chain saw, old school hand mill, grading cants, boards (been a while). Forest tech., land clearing and burning (don't tell anyone), brushing, brush hogging, stumping, field plowing (dozer with brush blade).

Last edited:
Well, 5 hours have passed with no reply. More of the same.

Any one else looking ?

With that impressive skillset you have accumulated by age 31, I'm wondering how long you are contemplating doing the arborist gig before moving on to something new? Not being critical or doubting your abilities; just curious.

With that impressive skillset you have accumulated by age 31, I'm wondering how long you are contemplating doing the arborist gig before moving on to something new? Not being critical or doubting your abilities; just curious.

Not by choice. As much as I would of rather stay with one job, high competition and increasing standard of living throughout the country means second part time, week end and winter over jobs. Bills need to be paid and we have mouths to feed. I am the type that learn new skills very quickly, thankfully it is not too hard for me. With this type of background it looks like I just job hopped or drifted around, in some ways I did, for better wages, self contract. Some of the jobs ended because cost of employee and job site insurance. I tended to work for small start up companies looking to grow with them but the way things have been in the last several years has been very difficult.

An example :

My last job was at a local apple orchard, full time, agriculture, old orchard bought and rejuvenated by a local farm on a thin budget. A friend emailed me knowing I had been trying at the local tree companies for years with the orchard job ad from Craigslist, the owners were looking for experience with tree care and multi-talented. I loved it there. Worked by myself 80 % of the time rebuilding the orchard and helping with the dairy farm and farmer's market. I learned a lot in the management of fruit trees taking my experience to a different level. As with the other small businesses I have worked for, as usual the very tight economy had a direct impact on us this winter. Milk prices will be dropping, the attached dairy farm will no longer be profiting and therefor I lose my job. I wish my boss all the best, he now has the dairy farm, market and orchard to manage all by himself. In light of the oncoming lay off I started pruning in late Nov. I managed to prune until Feb 13 before the last snow storm buried us and brutal cold stopped me, I was almost done, the Pears were the last block left. I back packed in everything needed because the snow drifts stopped the tractor and fuel cost. tools, extra boots, socks, first aid, food, stove, chainsaw and fuel/bar oil, Wheeler saw and extra blades and did nothing but climb and prune, tree after tree after tree. I truly hope they survive 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UWW1AaI0A

Hopefully someday I can find a long term job, that is if anyone is willing to give me the benefit of the doubt anymore. These days people like me are now viewed as throw away help when the season end which does not help either.

I know this seems immature and impetuous but take into consideration I am a young adult that managed through the worst winter New England has seen in 122 years. We burn fuel oil for heat, the fuel assistance program for the house we are renting ended in March and I just lost another job opportunity. It is not like I can run home to daddy, he died several years ago.

Never judge a book by it's cover.

Goshen Stone ...the family was originally in the Tree biz long ago. Grandpa's land has a great vein and oh so close to the surface. Great working stone , can pick it out on looks. Better than the Ashfield IMO although the lighter color is pretty.

George D. Judd & Sons, Goshen, Ma. very hard, dirty and dangerous work.

North Williamsburg, if this helps.

You Vermonties are good people.

If he was in Williamstown that would be a doable commute but I believe he is further south. I thought the same though:)

If hired I might make the daily commute to CT every day, 2 hour one way, 4 a day. Searching for contacts in CT for housing or shares.

I moved to Williamsburg in Oct. 2014 to be closer to the orchard, looks like I will have to move again. Damn this economy.

Back