Stihl 362

I don't like these fresh air engines they don't work for pro's that use a saw daily. 550/560 won't last 2000hrs or 1500 for that matter. Very few over 1000hrs...
562 is not sold here so I don't know about that one, but the rest we had here sure don't do the tricks we need them to.
Stihl also have a lot of issues with these fresh air engines.

Runtime. That is what it should be about, how much run time you get for your money. Trinkets, design, gadgets and fictive features are cool and fun, but won't fell trees or earn you any cash when saws are on repairs or dead. It used to be like this:
2000hrs or more = Pro saw
1500-2000hrs = Semi pro
1000-1500hrs = Farmer
20-1000hrs = consumer grade....

If a pro used a saw 1,5 year it would still be able to fix it up and sell top a farmer for another run.
Here they last 6 months, perhaps a year if you get a new on warranty or put some £€$ in it half way.

Autotune system get the blame, but it is in my opinion the engines that is the bad guy.
These new ignition and fuel systems would make a rocket out of a 357/359.

Why do you give them such a short life span? What has changed so much to lessen the life? I'm not challenging you, just really curios.

I don't do or give anything just tell what I see here in shop. I have yet to see a guy here that run a 550/560 saw a year or more than 1500hrs, and I meet many people running these...

To me it is obvious it is the engine type. I said it from the first time I saw it and still don't believe it will ever be sorted out. They had 12 years to do it now, and still talk about it being new and run in issues...
Perhaps they get this thirsty, heavy, bulky thing to run, but never as well as the older type.

Why I get to see them is that when they run these saws a couple years and get tiered of repairing/dealer visits every other day they dig out the older saws from barn or garage and want them running again.
Dealer want them to get a new again so he say we won't fix it up for them so they come here with it and I see if it is worth the effort.
Mostly it is a carb kit, plug and fuel lines then they run it 6 months without bringing it anywere but to forrest.
That won't happen with a new 550/560.

I guess I'm having a much worse day than I thought, but your last post, seems to contradict your post before, Magnus? I'm even more confused than I was to start with! And I was pretty confused to start with!

I'm currently on my 3rd or 4th MS441. I honestly wouldn't exchange one of them for an old 44.

And I think I qualify as a pro-user!

How many hrs do you get out of them?
I hear some here that use 441 and they run almost a year, but it is not that many I talked to, perhaps 3-4 of them..

The 441 is the saws we run the most.
We only break out the 660/661 for felling and bucking the big stuff.
I'd estimate around 800-1000 hrs on the 441 a year.

After I squashed my 660 flat last week, I picked up a 661.
What an improvement!
Hardly any vibrations and lots of torque.

OK.
If you get 2000hrs out of them I think that is perfect!
That is what I think we should expect of a saw in pro range.

Not 3-600 as it is with 576 or 550/560 here...

Back