Chainsaw suggestions?

Since I started logging some 40+ years ago, I've used most of the European /Japanese brands.

The american brands had already lost their lustre when I started.

My take on it is that it doesn't matter much what you run.

What matters is what your loocal dealer sells and services.

I run Stihl for no other rason than my local Stihl dealer is a fine professional shop, that has given me excellent service over the last 25 years.

The local Husky dealer is an asshole, to put it politely.

My 2 local shops here both stopped carrying husqvarna recently. I was told they were having too many problems and complaints and very little support. Not sure how it is elsewhere

I agree that service is the deciding factor. I love my stihl saws but my dealer treats me good enough to keep me on them. I?ve been given the chance to talk to the reps again so we?ve been in real good terms. Amazing that he got upset when I called him a lying POS about the original 201t?s. I was a bit pissed off about paying for a $200 upgrade to make it run half decent. Now that the 201tc is the top handle I can deal with it.

Anyone had time behind a husky 543xp? I borrowed one the other day and was blown away by it's power to weight. Super snappy throttle response, just a stellar saw for a16"cut. Only ran it for a few hours though. Any long term things to be wary of?

...a 395XP for bigger climbing needs and falling duties...
Boggle... I don't think I've ever thought of "395" and "climbing" in the same sentence. It's actually a bit rare for us to send up the 372, only on BIG multi-leader trees. Usually the 346 is all we need for added size over the 200T for in-tree work. It does sound as if our east coast friends have a 3120 for us, so we might be armed very similarly to you soon...

...Amazing that he got upset when I called him a lying POS about the original 201t?s. I was a bit pissed off about paying for a $200 upgrade to make it run half decent. Now that the 201tc is the top handle I can deal with it.
We've decided that EPA stands for Emasculation of Power Agency. The 200T was such a raging great saw (power to weight ratio) that it set up the 201T to be such a mediocre disappointment, emasculated in so many ways. Glad to hear that the 201TC is at least tolerable; we may have to get one if our other sources dry up. But we did just acquire an 020, so now we have 3 top handle climbing saws.

Does anyone else here think that Mary Thomas there who owns a Stihl is a bot ?
I noticed that no one greeted "her" and that "she" has a post count of 1.

Boggle... I don't think I've ever thought of "395" and "climbing" in the same sentence. It's actually a bit rare for us to send up the 372, only on BIG multi-leader trees. Usually the 346 is all we need for added size over the 200T for in-tree work. It does sound as if our east coast friends have a 3120 for us, so we might be armed very similarly to you soon...
Yea. A lot of my climbing time involves chunking wood from 28"- 60" for milling purposes, so bigger saws are a real necessity for me.
We also do quite a few top and drops on 160'- 200' trees, so I frequently use a 562XP with a 28" for blowing tops. Hell, I use a 395 for topping when the tree calls for it.
Good luck with the 3120. I have run a lot of bigger CC saws in my life, and a good running 3120 takes the cake for me. A real beast!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ouj5pP3yPjM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did you look at the link? It's the most mis-heard lyric by far (and urban legend is that Jimi sang it that way at times to make light of it). My favorite mishearing is "The ants are my friends, they're blowing in the wind..."

Back