Integrated Soft Shackle

I like the idea, but would rather buy a break-away, than rely on that breakaway key-biner to prevent an accident, like dropping a saw. Do you know what kind of break strength to expect out of the key biner?

A girth hitch looks simplier for attaching the saw, and less bulky.

Different strokes for different folks.

An advantage of th shackle is you don' have to disconnect it from the harness to put on or take off. On the shackle,you pull a string to open the loop, then push the round knot through it.
The intergrated shackle is fairly bulk because it's made from Beeline core to be larger and easier to handle. The added on shackle would be more of the desired size, plus it can't slide on the handle very far to interfer with trigger, which a girth hitch might.
Testing of the carabiners is next on the to do list.
It's a good concept, maybe I didn't make the best example to showcase it.

I've seen screw lock key biners with no ledge/ pin. Breakaway.

I like your rope trickery, and wish I could splice.

You can splice Sean, anyone can. Like anything else, just time and effort. I splice all of my own stuff and I'm a part timer, it's really just another knot. Even the double braids look way worse than what they are. It's all just practice and attention to detail, which you have in spades :)

I know I can learn. I've spliced some hollow braid dynamic cabling and little accessory cord, but not the real deal. Wish I could splice 3-strand. If there was a splicing workshop to attend, nearby, and I had time available at the same time, I'd be all over it. Right now, its just trying to keep everyone parking the rigs at he end of the field day with no surprises during the day, equipment running and sharp, guys trained, and showing up on time to bids. I think I missed one on Wednesday. Oops.

Next time you are the the hardware store, grab a coil of cheap manila. Then whenever you are hanging out with the wife watching tv or something like that, just practice them and cut them off when you are done with it. I bet you will be able to do it in your sleep before you get 15' in. The nice thing with cheap manila is that it's not hard lay and it holds its shape, so you don't need tools or have it unlay (hair gel works when you get to that). Start with the back splice, then eye splice, then the manrope knot (handy on the end of a lanyard or similar). Then start messing around with the chain splice, which is used for splicing on a ring or snap, and then the right angle splice so you can do a proper cargo net lol. Just like knots, after a bit it becomes fun. Tenex or other hollow braids are even easier, so you can make stuff with that too. By then once you try double braids it isn't that hard, just more measuring and on tight ones like blaze more milking it smooth and setting it with a hammer

I bought the TreeU.com splicing series with Nick Araya. Very good. Camera work could be a bit better/ closer at times, but really helpful.

I need a TS Bag of Rope.
Ultra slings look easy and super useful, intuitive, fool-resistant, unlike loopie slings needing pressure on the splice.

Back