Grant Hadwin

So is anyone going to let us know when and where next month that we are going to be available to watch the Grant Hadwin movie and if it will be available to purchase on DVD?

The golden spruce has just been delivered this week. Time to get reading :)

You're gonna love it and come away with a whole lot of questions like we have, I promise you that. Any questions that you have, please post them in this thread so we can continue discussing this tragic series of events.

You will LOVE IT!

Still hoping to be able to see the movie soon, but I'm sure that it won't reach major theaters. Will probably have to get it on DVD.

There's a screening coming up in Vancouver, BC on February 19th at the Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival! I've been waiting to see this for months since I read the Golden Spruce.

Let me know if you're going! I wouldn't mind meeting some local Treehousers

Well welcome to the TreeHouse, friend - my name is Butch!

Don't be shy about filling out your profile so we can get a handle on ya...

Welcome! :beer:

Welcome to the treehouse :)

Just finished reading the golden spruce yesterday - I found it a fascinating & sobering read. I had very little knowledge of the history of the region, or the implications & scale of the logging. Great recommendation:thumbup:

Well welcome to the TreeHouse, friend - my name is Butch!

Don't be shy about filling out your profile so we can get a handle on ya...

Welcome! :beer:

Done!

Just finished reading the golden spruce yesterday - I found it a fascinating & sobering read. I had very little knowledge of the history of the region, or the implications & scale of the logging. Great recommendation:thumbup:

I finished it in October and loved it too ... I'm hoping to meet some of the people who knew Grant, such as one of the Professors of Forestry at UBC ... All the towns / cities in the book are places that I have heard of, or been myself already ... it's a very local and special book to me.

Any chance of a read of that Pete? Just found the thread and it sounds a fascinating read.

Cheers bud.

Just received this email from the producer this morning. For those of us that would like to read Grant's manifesto, we may have to wait awhile unfortunately.

"Dear Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch and for your support of the film.

I’m afraid the manifesto is the property of the Hadwin Estate. It’s obviously something that John and I have discussed, but, for various reasons, we have decided not to push for it’s publication. We have tried to distill the essence of his political and social vision into the book and film respectively.

I’ll let you know if this situation changes, and you are not the first to have asked for it.

Sorry not to be able to assist at this time.

All the best,

Sasha.

Sasha Snow
Sasha Snow Film Production"

Well, look at what I found here while doing some searches on Mr. Hadwin. A forum on trees. Growing them, cutting them down, chopping them up and every other use for them.

Anyways, on the topic of Grant Hadwin, I never read the book, The Golden Spruce, nor have I seen the documentary, Hadwin's Judgement. And probably never will.

You see, i knew Grant quite well and want to remember him as I knew him, even if the book and the movie are somewhat accurate.

Grant and I went through technical school together, taking Forest Resources technology. We spent many an evening downing numerous beers and some successful times chasing ladies.

In many ways he was just a normal guy, but when it came to raping and pillaging the forests, well, that's what really set him off.
Around the time I met him, his older brother committed suicide, and that no doubt had a profound affect on his life.

Following our days in school, we hooked up a few times, once with our wives in Gold Bridge where he was living in a huge log house that he had built. And then a day of ice fishing at Little Gunn Lake.

Another time in north central BC where I was raping and pillaging the forests, he came up to do some contract work.

When I first heard about the Golden Spruce being cut down and Grant being the number one suspect, I wasn't surprised. That's exactly what he would do, and many people that didn't get the message he was trying to send, just couldn't see the forest for the trees.
And then when he went missing. No way he's dead. He faked it, or at least that was my first thought.

Is Grant Hadwin still alive? Possibly. If he came through my door tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised. In fact I would welcome him. "Here's a beer Grant, we have some catching up to do".

From what I've read about the book and the movie, it sounds like they were attempting to show Grant as he really was, and it looks like time has been good to him, with more people understanding the message he was trying to send.

Anyways, if you happen to read this Grant, we're in the phone book.
A & J

Back