Grant Hadwin

RegC

TreeHouser
I don't watch many movies, but having read the book and residing where I do, consider to what my job is....then Id quite like to see this film. The book 'The golden Spruce' publication is easy enough to mail order by way. I probably read even less books than what I watch movies but there was something compelling and empathetic about this story.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/115182644?byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/115182644">HADWIN'S JUDGEMENT TRAILER</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/sashasnow">Sasha Snow</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/115182644?byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/115182644">HADWIN'S JUDGEMENT TRAILER</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/sashasnow">Sasha Snow</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Looks like an interesting movie, even if they use it to make some irrational value judgements... Hollywood...ya know?

Looks like an interesting movie, even if they use it to make some irrational value judgements... Hollywood...ya know?
I doubt its going to be a hollywood blockbuster Jed....they wouldn't be interested in such a story I don't think. Looks like it's been reserched pretty thoroughly. Not a big time/ budget production. I was speaking with a logger buddy of mine just this morning, he was residing and working right there as the whole thing unfolded.

Grant Hadwin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Grant Hadwin

Born Thomas Grant Hadwin
West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Disappeared February 14, 1997 aged 48
Near Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada
Status Missing, presumed dead
Occupation Forest engineer
Known for Cutting down Kiidk'yaas (The Golden Spruce)
Thomas Grant Hadwin born 1948 was a Canadian forest engineer. In January 1997, he cut down Kiidk'yaas (The Golden Spruce), a landmark tree in British Columbia's Queen Charlotte Islands, as a protest against the logging industry. While facing criminal charges, he disappeared en route to his trial.

Hadwin was born in West Vancouver, British Columbia. His family was active in the logging industry. Hadwin himself became a logger and later became a logging engineer. However, he became increasingly upset with the logging industry's methods and exhibited signs of mental instability.[1] In January 1997, Hadwin went to the Queen Charlotte Islands and purchased a chainsaw. Early on the morning of January 20, 1997, Hadwin made a series of deep cuts in the Golden Spruce. The tree fell two days later.

After cutting down the tree, Hadwin left the islands. He sent a fax to the media and the Haida nation claiming responsibility for the act, saying that he was motivated by "rage and hatred towards university trained professionals and their extremist supporters...."[2] The act outraged people throughout Canada and received extensive media coverage. Hadwin was arrested, ordered to return to the islands to stand trial, and released on bail.

Disappearance[edit]
Hadwin's court appearance was scheduled for February 18, 1997, in Masset, British Columbia. Numerous people speculated that Hadwin would be killed before he could stand trial.[3] Hadwin said that he feared for his safety if he were to travel by ferry or plane; he decided to make the trip across Hecate Strait by kayak. On February 11, Hadwin set out from Prince Rupert, British Columbia, but turned back a day later after being caught in a storm. On February 13, Hadwin set out again. The next day, he was spotted 25 miles (40 km) north of Prince Rupert, but he failed to appear in court as scheduled. There have been no confirmed sightings of Hadwin since then.

In June 1997, the wreckage of Hadwin's kayak was found on uninhabited Mary Island, 70 miles (110 km) northwest of Prince Rupert. Because Hadwin was known to be an expert in wilderness survival,[4] some believe that he faked his own death and vanished into the wilderness.[4] His ultimate fate is unknown.

I read the short version of the story about 10 years ago, and it was very intriguing. It appears the video wants to portray an anti-logging theme to the story, which doesn't surprise me.

There's no easy answer to the issues of industrialization. But stop everything? Not likely, but steps can be taken towards better stewardship with our managed forests. I'm a firm believer of that. We don't need to stop logging altogether to have our cake and eat it to. that's the beauty of forests, trees. They're a renewable resource. At the rate it's going now the harmony with the forest ecosystem could be better improved without a doubt. And I'm a firm believer in that too.

Thoroughly excellent post, Gerr.

This is the first I've heard of this guy. Sounds like it boils down to mental illness. Cutting down an ancient tree to protest industrial forestry?? Nah.

He felt there was nothing sacred left and embodied it in cutting the spruce. And after having done so he committed himself to the ultimate connection with nature. But it's just my take on the story. I think he could have done more good if he lived, but he did not realize that.

I read the short version of the story about 10 years ago, and it was very intriguing. It appears the video wants to portray an anti-logging theme to the story, which doesn't surprise me.
Maybe, but we don't know that for sure without seeing the movie, Jerry. That tree was historically sacred to the first nations people in the region, long before loggers showed up in the Charlottes. He'd have perhaps met the same fate as the tree if they'd caught up with him. Hopefully the producers give a fair account.

Personally, I can't respect anyone who claims to love trees, and yet can't put in a proper face and back cut when he goes to kill one.

Kinda like punishing a teen who leaves their belongings out in a mess.... so to teach them to respect their belongings you throw those things out into the garbage.... scary thing for me is that I kinda' understand it!

Thanks for posting this Reg. Hope the movie lives up to the book as well.

I read the book when it first came out and it touched a cord within me. Grant seemed to be such a talented man, who unfortunately suffered from a disease that caused him to think and act out his thoughts in a way that effected an industry and native people in a tragic way.

There is so much that I want to discuss about this story, but I don't want to be a spoiler for the movie or book that others haven't heard about yet.

As compelling and tragic a character as Hadwin was (and the guy did some amazing things), John Vaillants descriptions of West Coast logging practices down through history are absolutely fantastic. To say nothing of the observations about the native peoples of the region. . . One of my favorite books.

Back