Welders? Any welders on this site?

How rusty? Pics? How cheap are they to simply replace? Oil is very easy to remove, so i would likely oil it and get it all slicked up again, then just wipe the oil off. Maybe hit it with a bit of solvent to remove even more of the oil, or even dish soap and water.

To remove the rust soak the collar in a white vinegar bath overnight and then rinse it off. After that maybe a non toxic oil like stig suggested to prevent future rusting.

Edit: I'm not sure how the vinegar treatment will affect the chrome.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The can and shaking is a good idea and will work. Some oil and a abrasive with sharp corners will work better. Not a lot of oil.

Just to add something to my last post.
Today the paints that artists use, are all linseed oil based.
However, linseed oil is a fairly recent invention.
So all the fantastic old paintings we all adore, like Mona Lisa and Rembrandt's The night watch were all made with walnut based paints, since that was the only hardening oil known at that time.

That was a huge surprise for me, when I found out, so I figured most of you don't know either?

There's a lot of friction metal / metal during use with this sort of colar, between the links by articulating and around by the sliding. The coating just wears off down to the bare steel. Good news, the rust does the same, just use the collar and it will clean itself.
The rusty stain on my dog's white fur was a problem due to the training in water rescue. When we removed it at the end of the morning of training, it was acceptable. But at each public show, the collar stayed in the wet fur all day long and made a mess. I thought of making one in stainless steal, but dropped the idea.

That was a huge surprise for me, when I found out, so I figured most of you don't know either?
Had no idea either. I'm no artist by any means...I wonder if the current linseed oil based paints use boiled vs. raw linseed oil? Big difference in setup time.

The price certainly has gone up on those Lincoln "Tomb stone " machines .Perhaps not many know that the real old ones had copper windings that did not require a cooling fan .Fact in my garage I have an old Marquette buzz box that came over on the Mayflower which also is copper wound with no fan .Talk about heavy .

So maybe I made a mistake but I bought a Lincoln 140…. Mainly cause it runs off 120v…. And does 5/16 of an inch… and I thought it does stick also but upon further research does not…. I don’t have 230v in the garage, so I went w the 140.. almost bought the 180 which boasts mig tig and stick but requires 230v…. I’m looking at the Lincoln arc stick welder for $400 but requires 230/240v….

Wondering if I should have just got the 180 and hired an electrician to run a 240/230 in the garage?

Feeling dumb but going w it…. Been watching a lot of welding on YouTube… mainly Tacoma bumper fabrication…. Which is why I bought it for…

Thinking I need a generator for the house and just get one w 240/230/220 and run the welder off that if I don’t get the plug in the garage….

anyhoo…. Hope I didn’t waste money…

Back