Welders? Any welders on this site?

I have one too. Went to an auction and they had burned a work bench in the road ditch I crossed to get to my truck. They had burned the vice too. I wondered if it was still any good. About 30 years ago. Not very big and I don't use it hard. Can't believe they would burn it.

We had one in our shop when I was a kid. Been used hard and jaws were worn on ends. Ended up with 2 giant vices. Open up 10 inches with 6 inch jaws.

My son told me he really missed those. He has a pretty heavy duty one but nowhere near as big.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, without looking it up looks neat. What will you do with it?
I’ll get a big rig brake drum for the base. General use for heating and beating.
The screw has been welded /replaced but they did a good job of it, nice and straight, looks to have been stick welded.

I think I’ve mentioned this before but it can’t be stressed enough. Be extremely careful welding in close proximity to chlorinated solvents. I got my second dose of phosgene gas yesterday and I’m not a happy camper today. Air gouging about 30’ from a idiot that I’ve repeatedly told not to use brake cleaner in the shop while I’m there just couldn’t help himself. Please be careful, this shit isn’t fun. God only knows what the long term effects are.

That sucks Bob, how bad did it get you? And obviously get medical attention if you haven't already.

I only breathed enough to smell it and recognize the odor, I ran for the door. Guts feel like they’re in there trying to get out. Evidently it’s still in my lungs because I can still smell it and it’s been 24 hours now. Damn I hate stupid people. It’s been years since the first time this happened but you never forget the smell.

Last edited:
Yeah that's horrible, I've been close enough to know the smell but never that bad (said the dude with cancer by 38 ). Dodging idiots is a full time job man, shit that sux.

Last edited:
I don’t even keep chlorinated stuff in the shop. No bleach or chlorine either.
How would you describe the odor?

For me it smells like burning plastic mixed with bleach kinda smell. Use acetone to clean stuff rather than brake clean type stuff, many parts come coated in oil so it'll cause porosity so you gotta clean that before you can weld it.

I just did a quick read and a question: is it true that chlorinated brake cleaner stays in the porosity or surface of metal you might intend to weld, with said bad results? Would time clear the metal of any embedded cleaner?

Man, sorry to hear. Best recovery.

Never had a problem with metal it’s been used on after it’s dried. The problem is when the liquid or mist get hit with UV rays from the arc. The situation I was in was fans blowing on me due to it being hot and I was using the air-arc, hot combination. Brought the mist and fumes to me. Running 3/8 rod at 550 amps produces a lot of light to cause the reaction. The chlorinated solvents themselves isn’t a problem, it’s when the UV hits it it turns to phosgene which is a problem. I’ve read that by the time you smell it it’s done got ya.

Did you take the other guy to the hospital yet or are you letting him suffer a bit longer out back?
How are you feeling today?

Still coughing some, short on breath. I’ll be ok. I’m married with children, what’s the worst that could happen.

“That prick needs a beating!”

That’s considered premeditated in most courts. ;)

Back