Welders? Any welders on this site?

I looked into getting a wire feed setup for aluminium, it worked out cheaper to get an ac tig setup.

Argon 75/25 mix and regular steel wire. Nothing fancy about it at all.

The science behind it is that most mig wires now have a far amount of nickle to raise the tensile strength along with smoother running. Well nickle rod is what you weld cast iron with.
So it either works or fails miserably.

I have watched a few videos where silicon bronze was used with a tig torch. I thought it looked like that color BlackSmith.

I have done a lot of brazing with a torch, just not a tig torch.

I could braze your hands to your ass if'n you could stand the heat BlackSmith!:P

I don't think bronze or brass would have the strength for that application. The bike frame that is.

The science behind it is that most mig wires now have a far amount of nickle to raise the tensile strength along with smoother running. Well nickle rod is what you weld cast iron with.
So it either works or fails miserably.

Good to know, Wally, thanks! That's exactly what he always told me, "It's either going to work, or it's going to blow out, but it's broken and useless now!" I helped him do an exhaust manifold once, that one we heated with a torch, welded, heated, welded then brought down slowly. But everything else he'd just go at it and see what happened.

It doesn't look normal to me. If that's a motorcycle frame the tube should be 4130 or 4140 moly. The filler should look just like the tube. The beads (each ripple is a bead) are too far apart for it to be a very experienced welder. The more space between the beads means the welder had to come farther out of the puddle to get that effect which is a weaker weld. The less ripples the stronger the weld. While it does have a kinda "bling" to it if I was the inspector and watched the welder start welding like that he wouldn't have finished let alone waste the money to X-ray it. Most of those other welds look good for what is being built but it wouldn't pass on boiler tube or high presure steam pipe.

Patina etched the whole frame after welding. The Alloy in the rod doesn't react the same as the base/frame material to the etching.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I pulled the trigger on the Miller Multimatic 200 should be here in about a week and a half. I talked to a Miller rep and they test their machines on a load bank when determining duty cycle and that is not reflective of real world welding. So he said that in real world repair work I would never hit the duty cycle and gave me his card to call and bitch if it ever happened.

What have you got planned for your new welder Rajan? I had thought about a multi process welder, but about the only thing I cant do now is tig weld aluminum. I have been looking at HF ac machines.

What sort of cast part did you need welded Chris? I am a cast welder from waaaaay back!

Cool deal rajan. What sort of welding projects do you do?

Since ive had my syncro 250 ive learned a ton about welding. I love it. I love fabricating and design. My log trailer is currently cut into pieces. :lol:

Pulling the trigger on a miller 252 end of the month.

It's pretty hard to max out the duty cycle on a welder for most light fab work. If you were welding bridges together with some big cigars, then maybe.:lol: I think my TIG is only 30%, but that's at 480 amps.:O I don't want to weld anything that requires that much juice. My friend that I got my genset off of had two fluxcored wire welders that he used building hydro sites, and they were about all a 25kw generator wanted, and that was after over exciting the fields to get 220 instead of 208 volts.

Never found the duty cycle with a tig, flux core mig and stick is another story.
"Why are you standing there?"
"Your POS kicked out again!"
"Ohh"

:)

I've used a Century and a couple of the HF special wire feeds, the duty cycle on them sucked! Weld ten min, wait 20 to be able to use it again! I've never timed out my Miller. Truly a better quality machine, even for a light duty unit.

Isn't a full blown TIG setup about $6k now? I got my Miller for $100, and had to spend about $750 for the goodies to go on it, but it's older than me. Probably still works as well as it did when it was new, unlike me.:lol:

I got the syncro from an art school in nyc for 1000. I fire it up prob once a week. I love love love tig welding. Esp aluminum, soo pretty.

Back