Oxy/acyt setup
Hobart 10k Champion welder/generator
Millermatic 135
Hitachi 12” abrasive chop saw
Dewalt 12” cold cut chop saw
Milwaukee portaband
Floor standing drill press
6” bench grinder (Crapsman)
I’m down to two 4” angle grinders, my beloved Dewalt with a paddle finally died!
I think I’ve inherited six welding hoods?
My table is 5’x3’ but only 1/2” plate steel.
6” bench vise, one of the most used things I own!
And I’m not even a welder! Be afraid, Justin, be very afraid!
My shops a major mess, but you get the idea.
6658B12D-8839-4FB2-A1C3-1F9E7BE3915C.jpg DAE725E8-0D57-4464-8CA2-EDC9C2976846.jpg 1F3A720C-756D-4878-9D25-5F67F45ED877.jpg

I've got lots of the list already. Don't really need a ton but a couple big ticket items to round out my metal working gear. I'll try and get some pics here in the next few days. I started a big revamping of my shop today, until I got called into work. Like spring cleaning but it was snowing again. lol. I appreciate the input. It helps me refine my classified searching.

As a matter of fact the comments about air frames and chrome moly tubing .Unless it's been changed they either have to be Hile arced or gas welded on home builts as per FAA specs .

Thanks Sean, that was great of you to warn me.

Sean, I PM'd you about a Hobbs device for sale because I wasn't go to bid on it at first. Did you ever get that message?

Ya, I thought I messaged you back. What was the outcome?

I saw that Evo offered to meet the guy in person to buy it, or...

I won't even list the inventory of metal working tools I have only to say a lot .Keep in mind I'm older than the rest of you and have been at this a long long time .Add to that when my dad passed I got even more stuff . Fact is I need to build another building .

You still have that Monarch EE?:/: That thing by itself probably outweighs most people's metalworking collection.

That is no joke!
I still want a Bridgeport and a 9”x30”, or so, lathe myself.
And a lift, and.......

Monarch yes but I haven't had the time to install the new solid state control board .On the old tube type controller I got tired of trying to figure out why my speed control is erratic .I had went through that whole thing ,changed all the capacitors .most of the tubes and still no go . I just haven't taken the time and it's too cold right now and most of all ------I'm retired :lol: I can do anything I want on my time . I'm going to have to get it running if I ever hope to finish my bandsaw mill .
All the rest of the stuff works okay Bridgeport, big lathe ,several drill presses .One however needs some work on the over center clutch reversing mechanism .I've got an American Hole Wizard radial drill that needs the wiring gone through because it's not correct .The guy who had it before me thought it could be changed over to run on 240 volt three phase .It would have been a neat trick except all the motors are straight 480 volt .He's a good machinist but not so good electrician .I know how;)

And a lift, and.......
Got one of those too .13.5 inch air over hydraulic cylinder in ground .One lift cylinder from a semi lift with an American-Joyce drive on top .It will lift a pick up truck on 60 PSI air and my air is set at 150 PSI .I dug the hole for that thing by hand,took me 4 days .The air system BTW is a 5 HP two stage dumping into two 60 gallon tanks .I put it together from junk I had collected over the years .

Ok quick question to see if any of you know what sort of old miller welder/generator this is?

The ad says 200amp 100% duty cycle. And not much else. Pull start, runs great, will run your house for decades? I'm suspect of that claim but curious none the less. No other pics except for another one showing the motor from a slightly different angle. :|: Mostly just curious as I'm pretty set on a older plug in ac/dc. Just biding my time and watching the ads. Nothing good local has popped up yet. All like pushing 2hrs one way at best and mediocre deal.

IMG_1913.jpg

All I can tell from the picture is old. Appears to be an Onan engine. Might run a birdhouse but not your house. I’d pass.

I was more curious than anything else. Tried googling it and couldn't come up with anything so I thought I'd throw it out here and see. Thanks for the input.

If it's close...ish and under 300 i would take a look. See if you can get the guy to send you a pic of the front, it might be a brushed generator style, which will have the best arc (compared to a transformer style). I have a small Lincoln that is roughly the same size and shape, actually welds really nicely. You can put it outside, toss a grill cover over it when you aren't using it, and just run your leads under the door. The ability to be mobile will prove to be quite beneficial, and will likely be cheaper to run than a plug in type. You will definitely notice your bill going up when you are running that kind of equipment.

Those pancake Onans are around 5 KVA on generation .Not as high as what you might think .Usually that old 16 HP. They were sold under a zillion brand names .Miller ,Airco etc .Generate at 1800 RPM and weld at 3600 .You can probably look up the gasoline consumption per hour but it seems to me it's around a little over a quart,quart and a half per hour on generation but it might have been 5 quarts per hour ,it's been a long time . .They didn't have a throttle back on welding so it just keeps cranking on until you throttle it back .Good machines though and pretty stingy on gas usage . It uses a double coil like a Harley and fires both spark plugs at the same time .Points are exterior of the flywheel and easy to get to .

Last I checked parts were starting to dry up on those Onan’s. They’re great engines, like the Wisconsin’s, but useless if you can’t get parts for them.

The fellow is asking $600cdn for it. I don't think I'll bother him for more info or a pic. Gonna hold tight on that one I think. The right unit will come up eventually.

Canadian. That's more like $420us. Also very limited the used market up here just due to population. But still I will bide my time and wait it out.

Eh, it is an engine drive welder, which will always cost more because there's more to it and is more versatile. I paid 350 for a similar one, a Lincoln lincwelder 225, but bought it off a close friend who sold it cheap to me because he knew i would enjoy it and needed it atm. If it is a brushed generator type, it would be worth that. If push came to shove you could repower it without too much effort. A dc generator style welder really does weld stick that much smoother, and your learning curve will be much shorter because of it. With the "gears" (course adjustment taps) and the fine adjustment you can dial in exactly what arc characteristics you need, and can go from a dry driving arc for out of position work to a wet soft arc for heavy deposition fabrication work. Until you actually weld with one you can't understand the difference, but it's there and makes life much easier. This is why Lincoln used to make electric motor powered generator style welding machines. They would literally use an electric motor to spin a generator, in what is about the lowest efficiency use of electricity aside from the electric chair. But ignoring efficiency, the arc is that much better so it was worth it. To this day, no inverter or transformer can match it.

Back