Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Welders? Any welders on this site?

Default Welders? Any welders on this site?

I am looking to buy a multi process machine and I am torn between a Miller Multimatic 200 and a Thermal Arc 252i. I know there is a big difference in power between the two. Anybody have experience with either machine? I have run and owned several Miller machines over the years so I know their quality but know nothing about Thermal Arc.
    I mostly want it for the ability to spoolgun aluminum well and have the other processes too.

I have a miller 212 and flat love it. Ran many welders over the years and always favored Miller. Thermal Arc I know nothing about. You can spool gun off the 212
    Willie
    Southern Oregon Tree Care,LLC
    “Pruning is one of the best things an arborist can do for a tree but one of the worst things we can do to a tree.” Shigo

Young man on the go Sponsor
    Administrator

I'm a Miller fan. The Millermatic 200 of old was a transformer based MIG machine whereas the current 200 is an inverter based machine.

I assume you're comparing those two based on price point? What thickness of aluminum?

I have a Millermatic 185, the transformer based MIG machine. I would likely stick with Miller. I got my 185 for a song and sold the spool gun as I didn't need it. I have about $350 in the welder.
    Carl Rutherford

That's sweet. Picked up mine still under warranty with wire, gobs of consumables and a bottle for $1700. Haven't been able to drop the cash on a spool gun, they are proud of them.
    Willie
    Southern Oregon Tree Care,LLC
    “Pruning is one of the best things an arborist can do for a tree but one of the worst things we can do to a tree.” Shigo

I think I have a miller 175. Nice machine. I do a few repairs on welders in the electrical shop, they are all about the same when it comes to quality and the price. Best to inquire about repair parts availability. Welders seem to have a 5 year parts supply once production ceases, up here at least.

IMHO nice to have a separate AC/DC arc welder, just for certain welds.

Aluminum in the 10ga -5/16" range. I like the numbers on the Thermal Arc price and power 300amps and very respectable duty cycle vs 200amps and 35% or less duty cycle for the Miller, but I am not sure about the quality of the Thermal Arc it's made by Victor and they have the market on torches so I don't know.

TreeHouser Sponsor

In the welding trades were xray and testing must be passed, Thermal arc carries a lot better name then Miller.

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

I dont have much experience with Miller or Thermal Arc. Been buying Lincoln for ever. Thermal Arc has a good reputation as stated above. But Miller is everywhere and people love them.

I like to read reviews on welding forums before I buy a machine but some folks are so loyal to the color they like that they miss out on other brands that may be a better fit, value, or higher quality.

What has the best support in your area? Which machine has a better warranty? Best reviews? Which machine will support your skill level now and later? If welding is something you are interested in, you should not buy a machine that will not support your interests in a couple of years.

Sorry I dont have more to offer, always been a Lincoln man. But I would assume that you could not go wrong with either brand.

I
    There are but two seasons. Winter, and preparing for winter.
    Jim

Good to know. I am going to do some calling around tomorrow and see what I can find for support for the Thermal Arc machine. Miller I know where to go for repairs and parts.

Treehouser Sponsor sawinredneck's Avatar

I've used the Thermal Arc plasma torches and loved them! Great build quality and they just worked! Wish I could afford one for myself!
    If money is an issue, as I'm sure it is, look into the Hobart's as well, they own Miller and the machines are made on the same lines, with some lesser quality parts used on the Hobart's, but you can get parts for them and they are a decent machine. http://www.hobartbrothers.com/about-...of-hobart.html
    I have a Millermatic 135xp and my buddy has a Hobart handler 140, at the end of the day they are the same machine and I'd be happy to use either one.