Veggie burger to save the world

Wonder what the thought is behind unless a head shot, the meat can't be harvested. Humane killing? That's a lot of kangaroos running about.

Thanks for the share...I wondered how the roo was harvested. We used to shoot rabbits like that in S. GA...rode on the front of a car down dirt roads...my dad and uncle running lights while my cousin and I shot. Looking back now that was pretty nuts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im guessing a head shot is mandated so no meat is touched by the lead in the bullet, which arguably could be a health hazard.

That was indeed an excellent link, thanks Steve. As said in the article, it appears to be the ultimate humane harvest natural food system. Very, very impressive.

One thing I was wondering, with all that harvesting going on, don't the roos, over time, become more wary of the shooters? Perhaps there are so many roos and relatively so few shooters, its hard for the average roo to make the connection as, relatively speaking, the average roo may never witness a shooting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kangatarianism:
Kangatarianism is a recent practice of following a diet which excludes meat except kangaroo on environmental and ethical grounds. Several Australian newspapers wrote about the neologism "kangatarianism" in February 2010, describing eating a vegetarian diet with the addition of kangaroo meat as a choice with environmental benefits because indigenous wild kangaroos require no extra land or water for farming and produce little methane (a greenhouse gas), unlike cattle.[22][23] Advocates of kangatarianism also choose it because Australian kangaroos live natural lives, eat organic food, and are killed humanely.[24][25] Fo

indigenous wild kangaroos require no extra land or water for farming and produce little methane (a greenhouse gas), unlike cattle.[22][23] Advocates of kangatarianism also choose it because Australian kangaroos live natural lives, eat organic food, and are killed humanely.[24][25] Fo

Since we have no roos I guess deer will have to do. Does that make those that eat them Venisonarianists? I don't know how much methane they produce but I've never heard one fart.

Wonder what the thought is behind unless a head shot, the meat can't be harvested. Humane killing? That's a lot of kangaroos running about.

Roo shooters have a pretty bad reputation, not the ones like Peter Absalom. For years it was just open slaughter, no regulations and any yahoo with a gun could be one. Farmers just paid them to shoot as many as possible and left them to rot mostly. Only a small amount went to pet food, mainly just dog food.

Now with the regulations you have to be a pretty good shot, 3" group minimum at about 80 yards. Sorted out the bogans with semi auto's and shotguns. http://www.firearmtraining.com.au/html/10aboutkhtest.htm

So yes humane killing. It'd make you sick to see what it was like before, that's one reason it's been hard for them to get the industry going.

....For years it was just open slaughter, no regulations and any yahoo with a gun could be one. Farmers just paid them to shoot as many as possible and left them to rot mostly....

Not dissimilar to how we dealt with our Bison. Estimated at somewhere between 30 and 70 million animals that weighed more than 4 times what a Roo does. More pounds of meat per acre than the African planes.

A weed is a plant out of place and a pest is an animal that doesn't fit into your plans. Even today, short sighted fools prevail.

Not dissimilar to how we dealt with our Bison. Estimated at somewhere between 30 and 70 million animals that weighed more than 4 times what a Roo does. More pounds of meat per acre than the African planes.

A weed is a plant out of place and a pest is an animal that doesn't fit into your plans. Even today, short sighted fools prevail.

The reasoning behind the wipe out of the Bison was a bit different than the reasoning for killing roos.
Take away the food source and you get rid of the indians.

It was the European demand for buffalo robes and leather that decimated the bison herds although the government did encourage it. Sheared beaver hats likewise for the beaver. Beaver have recovered. Bison numbers will never approach what they were because of land management practices and fences.

Back