sushi

I never heard of anyone that doesn't like Salmon, but I guess it is possible. I want to try smoking it, no doubt it is good.

I like it smoked, not so keen on it raw.

Did anyone ever read the Lewis and Clark story? They were starving and met some indians in Idaho [I think] who gave them salmon, they ate so much they got sick and wouldn't eat fish again. Ate their horses instead, and some dogs.:barf:

most sushi isn't really what it says it is anymore because we fished those species to the brink of extinction.

I don't follow, Darin. You're saying that they are putting out other species than what they say it is? Any experienced sushi eater would know, and for the most part by the appearance as well.

Jerry, some species of fish are highly unlikely to have parasites, like Tuna, and Tuna is about the best tasting. I don't think the FDA requires Tuna to even be frozen to protect against parasites, unlike a number of other species.

In the early 70's I worked in a fish house filleting fish for a living. It was the worse job I ever had, for numerous reasons. There were parasites in the bellies and meat of a every species I've ever filleted and the older the fish, the more parasites. That includes tuna. In later years I worked in the kitchen of a restaurant... one of my responsibilities was to portion fresh fish. We would get large rounds of swordfish and most of the time I was digging out worms as round as a dime and inches long. The swordfish steaks always looked and smelled pretty good but I could never bring myself to eat it!

Jay, tuna is tuna a octopus is octopus but a lot of the other varieties of fish these days are similar species because the original fish cannot be taken in any significant numbers. We are depleting the Oceans very rapidly.

Sadly true about the depleting fish, Darin, something needs to be done. So many livelihoods are connected to the fishing industry, the mention of a moratorium brings the thought of economic suffering. Politicians would be timid to bring it up. People here won't even stop their whaling practices done for "research purposes", and pretty much against worldwide opposition amongst the international whaling commission members. Nor will many stop eating it. Ongoing research on how whale flesh fits into a can, I believe. I haven't heard anything about clandestine fish being substituted at the sushi bar, you may be right, but I would have thought that it would make the news. I know that at restaurants if you order a certain fish, they will tell you that it isn't available, and may suggest one similar. Food news is a big topic here, sometimes there are scandals about unscrupulous things being done at high class restaurants. Recently there was one about prawns. A lot of prawns are imported from Thailand, people were caught selling them as the rarer and more expensive domestic goods, and a big stink came out of it. The maitre d' had to click his heels twice when good customers arrived..

It's not lying per SE Jay, there are some names in sushi that mean a general type of fish and not something specific.

As for blue fin tuna numbers, it seems that Japan does all it can to suppress population statistics. I read more than a few articles that say the tuna numbers are down over 90% in the last hundred years. The financial value of tuna makes saving it as a species seem unlikely.

Japan has been hitting the tuna hard for a long time, but with the sushi boom happening, I know that Korea and Spain are taking a lot of the fish now as well, perhaps others. The new year's traditional tuna auction for the grand fish brought in over a million dollars for the one fish. It's a prestige thing, who can dig the deepest for it and show up the competition. Some very successful restaurant bought it and had it on display before they cut it up. People were crammed in to get a taste. Too much fish indulgence, I thought, and a magnificent tuna.

The problem with tuna management, bluefins in particular, is the great distances they travel. Although the U.S and Canada have strict limits and quotas, those same fish may migrate completely across the Atlantic and be caught in international waters by anyone. I suspect that the great sushi obsession will eventually go the way of the blackened redfish craze of twenty-some years ago, either because of price or scarcity of product. Commercial fishing for redfish was outlawed here in the late '80s, I hope it doesn't come to that for the tuna fishery.

I don't want bad things to happen to people but I wish we had half the population we have now.

image.jpg Sushi is awesome. I absolutely love the stuff.

As for crayfish... They are delicious aswell. I was in Gotland, Sweden in the summer for a family holiday. It was my missus fortieth birthday whilst we were there and the Swedish side of the family treated her and us all to a crayfish dinner. Strong beer, Aquavit and crayfish - A meal fit for kings.

Ok, this thread has ventured into perfectly agreeable territory, imo...but we best not lay ocean resource depletion at the foot of the sushi market, my friends. As a single example among many, we Americans absolutely devastated the NE American continental coastal shelf and then far offshore cod populations by overfishing more than a hundred years ago, and I can assure you none of that was going to sushi :). Those stocks are only now showing some recovery after decades of strict restrictions on harvest.

Crayfish, I assume...and agree with totally. It would take next to no time to see an over-fished crawdad population recover, relative to any of the large saltwater species mentioned earlier.

What do the Swedes cook their crawdads in? Mayonnaise? I just cant see too much red pepper going into that dish.

I eat some canned tuna and we buy a frozen tuna steak once in a while. Might not be the same species?

People should eat beef instead of tuna!

What can be done? Who has the power to stop a species being eradicated on a global scale? Sean Penn, George Clooney? A bad joke I know, but I suppose it would take it becoming too socially unpopular to eat before the demand dropped to a sustainable level. Speaking of that, do the numbers drop every year or did they bottom and stay there?

Depending on the species Jim and who you listen to, some are in good shape with numbers increasing, some are just holding their own. Believe it or not, the big bluefins have made a recovery of sorts due to stricter management. Blackfin and yellowfin tuna here in the Gulf of Mexico seem to be doing well too. I don't know what the commercial demand for them is though. I did some work for a gentleman who had been fishing today and he saw many dead fish offshore, evidence of red tide. I don't know if any of you have seen the results of a bad case of red tide, but all the trawls and long lines in the world can't compare with the devastation it produces.

Hahaha, Jay. They were disgusting worms. What disgusted me more than the worms was the fact that we just cut them out and served the swordfish anyway! I guess what you don't know, won't hurt you.

Sushi popularity is still growing around here. Many of the local restaurants have a sushi bar, even the local grocery store has a sushi bar. For me the best was in Okinawa, little place outside of Futenma Air Base plus a nice Orion beer!

Back