Hammock life

They never hurt my back but I can tell you this...I was in a jungle hammock years back and a big storm came up....thought I would see how waterproof the jungle setup really was.

Crash!!! Frig the rain...a big A$$ tree limb crashed down right beside me. Abandon hammock and learn lesson about looking up before setting up hammock.:O

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
MB Quite comfy so far for me, laying slightly off center can be more comfy than what most people do with the straight lie. That is legs off to the right a bit and torso off to the left a bit.
Gary, indeed, I have one with a tarp system currently but I can't see it being enough in a downpour that we get, the one I bought but dont have yet might fare better as the tarp is a bit bigger. Surely not limb resistant though

I have done some camping using a jungle hammock...rain is a definite challenge...especially keeping your pack dry since only you and a little bit of gear can fit into the hammock system. In a downpour situation just getting in and out with mud everywhere when you take your boots off to turn in for the night is tough. But with good mosquito netting it can be quite comfortable on a warm evening in GA.

MB Quite comfy so far for me, laying slightly off center can be more comfy than what most people do with the straight lie. That is legs off to the right a bit and torso off to the left a bit...

And that looks like problem with this hammock. The pad pocket is inline and zipping it up would also force you to lay inline. A sure recipe for overextended knees and pain.

As you have found, the way to get a flat lay in a gathered end hammock is to lay on the diagonal. Check out www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php if you're interested in camping hammocks.

Uhhhhhh....

Hammocks have always looked like they would hurt my back.

Am I wrong?

Yes, you're probably wrong if it's done right. Many of us sleep in hammocks to avoid back pain.

"Hammock life", sounds like an insurance company. I needs me one to string between some bamboo. It might sway in the wind. I worked with a guy that would bring his to the job site for a lunch time snooze. It looked like a good idea.

Get a Treeboat.
Queen of hammocks.
Then put a rolled up jacket or sweater under yor knees.
No more hyperextension and pain.

P1020261.JPG P1020239.JPG P1010876.JPG California 09 trees 074.JPG California 09 trees 079.JPG

I have spent several weeks in a Hennessy Hammock while on a solo bike tour. They have a built in tarp and mosquito net. You climb in from the bottom and your weight keeps the Velcro half–where your legs are–closed.

Great because they're light weight.
Great because you can hide your camp site.

Not so great when it's windy because there's no insulation (that's extra) and your sleeping back is compressed up against the side too.

Not really that comfortable for sleeping and a pain when you have wake up early morning when nature calls. A Therm-a-rest on the ground is better.

Yes. But not one of those spreader bar rope or canvas things sold everywhere which they call hammocks, but are actually torture devices.

....Then put a rolled up jacket or sweater under yor knees.
No more hyperextension and pain...

Or just use a properly designed hammock for no hyperextension to start with.

My nightly sleeper bridge hammock with side storage pockets...

IMG_0218 (Small).JPG

Warbonnet Ridgerunner bridge hammock with down underquilt and top quilt....bring on winter...

IMG_3208 (Small).JPG

I prefer bridge hammocks, many people prefer gathered end (regular) hammocks.

Rain, wind, winter? Get a proper tarp...

IMG_3158 (Small).JPG DSCN0880__36873.1405381658.800.800 (Small).jpg

Roots, rocks, uneven ground, wet ground? Who cares, you're not on the ground.:thumbup:

Is you bud busting up a bud? lulz!

attachment.php

Making tea, I think.
Could just as well be the other, he is a grower and user.

Retirement style hammocking :D. One for each, and usually with a big pillow attached.

I have a early model TreeBoat, too. Fun to take along when camping, if nothing else.

Attachments

• hammocks 002.jpg
    hammocks 002.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 34
He's a great kid, keeps me smiling. Great attitude, probably from his mom.

I love hammocks. I won a treeboat from a photo contest and love it. Pretty sturdy.

Deva's boy has a cool look, always like he just came home from the beach.

Peaceful vibes at your home there, Burnham.

Thanks for the comments all, Deva that boy is gonna be a surfer before you know it!

Today's break time hang...

Attachments

• 20140828_142057.jpg
    20140828_142057.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 28
1 minute to set up about the same to take down, not a bad way to spend a 15 minute coffee break in the field. :)

Stig, I'm jealous (I know it's not good to be jealous) of your pictures of what you've done in California.

The sad/funny thing is that I live here. At some point I'll get out there and sleep in a tall redwood.....

Good thread.

Gem Cutter, I learned something of your post, looks right for winter camping all downy and stuff.

Nice PAul. 15 minutes with the feet up.

Great looking house front, Burnham, I can see you two relaxing together holding hands rocking.

My son will be rocking in the hammock and staring at the ground in a trance and I'll try and talk to him like trying to be a cool Dad or something....
and he'll say, Daddy don't talk don't talk...I just wanna rock.

Back