looking at buying my first harness

Wood Collector

TreeHouser
Hi guys I am looking at getting a new harness but I am still trying to decide what I want. One option is a Exofit Nex Sit Harness Small. I am not sure if a Treemotion or a Petzl Sequoia Harnesswould be better. Feel free to suggest any other harnesses. The max I want to spend on a harness is $500. I would prefer the harness to have a metal clip or quick adjust buckles as I am thinking that if i invert in a buckle style harness i may fall out of it. Cheers WC

If it is your first harness I would suggest keeping it inexpensive and simple. There are some dandy "modern" saddles for $280 or less. Most of us don't want to go back to a basic Weaver----But they truly are not all "bad". Newer designs are often lighter and more comfortable-IF they are well matched to the user but the some of the old Weavers designs are bull strong and super secure -Ands both Weaver and Buckingham have new intermediate cost saddles that some great climbers prefer. Tell us about your build and climbing experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am 6 feet tall my waist is probably 28-29 inches, i weigh 70kg. My intended use is to work within the canopy of trees for mainly pruning but some removals. I am only doing this in my school holidays. I am looking at pursuing this as a career when i leave school at the end of next year as i have enjoyed the work that i have got with my arborist friend. I have the following gear CMI foot ascender, Petzl piranah decender, nylon running sling,30m Response 11mm Climbing rope, 5m rope lanyard. I am looking at getting a proper climbing helmet as i have a construction hard hat that i am planning on using.All my gear except the climping rope and rope for the lanyard came from Tree Stuff.Very impressed with the survice with them.

If it is your first harness I would suggest keeping it inexpensive and simple. There are some dandy "modern" saddles for $280 or less. Most of us don't want to go back to a basic Weaver----But they truly are not all "bad". Newer designs are often lighter and more comfortable-IF they are well matched to the user but the some of the old Weavers designs are bull strong and super secure -Ands both Weaver and Buckingham have new intermediate cost saddles that some great climbers prefer. Tell us about your build and climbing experience.
....Yep , what He said !

I started with a belt and saddle from Justin then got a basic Weaver leg strap model, had a used backup Buckingham butt strap then retired from climbing. Go hang in a few saddles at your local tree guy store, its all up to personal taste and use IMHO.

Okay thanks for that. Most of the arborist shops are a good drive away or are in another state. If i go down the lane of a fall arrest sit harness what kN rating should i be looking at? Is something like 6kN max fall arrest okay? How well do the plastic clips on the sequoia harnesses hold up? or should i be looking at metal clips or quick adjust? Cheers WC

I have decided to add another 2 to my list to choose from. Buckingham Classic Pinnacle Saddle, Treehog Work Positioning Seat Harness. the main ones that i am now looking at from chooseing between are the Buckingham Classic Pinnacle Saddle,Exofit Nex Sit Harness and the TM. I will probably go with the Exofit Nex Sit Harness but i can see the benefits with the TM opposed to the Exofit Nex Sit Harness with more gear space not that i have much in the way of it. If any TM owners want to pipe in and give me the pros and cons of it that would help. my tree climbing experience is pretty good from when i used to climb trees as a kid. I have a love of heights and when i was in a cherrypicker with a mate up14-15m i felt comfortable. Cheers WC

Don't obsess too much, just get a good quality arborist harness, don't worry about all this fall arrest stuff. Will this or that hold? It'll all hold if it's new and made by a reputable company.
People tend to eulogise about whatever they have at the moment.

...yep...done right the only falls are small (into your own equipment)....mebbee a branch (TIP) breaks and rope goes down to next one...still rare....you want safety and comfort

Back