apple problem

bstewert

TreeHouser
My little Fuji is doing better this year, but it still has a bit of something going on with the leaves. Thoughts?

IMG_3477.jpg

Looks crowded, impeded air flow/ sun penetration giving fungi more opportunity. Specifically, don't know without researching.

could be cedar / apple rust, I cant see the underside of the leaves well enough though. Similar to pear trellis rust where the juniper are the winter host and the pear is the summer host of the disease. only cure is to remove one of the hosts for at least a 100 foot distance.

Picture of a client's gravenstein. He said he gets small apples. I said thin it out a bit and ammend the soil.

b4dc500d9dc676827b13b88cdbeeddb0.jpg

Just for something to look at.

So many people expect grocery store quality fruit from their backyard trees. Getting a crop anywhere near that requires a pretty strict maintenance program, beginning in late winter through early to mid summer, every year.

Worms = Coddling moth.

The bane of my fruit tree maintenence.
With our one little Gala apple I can keep it to a dull roar, but the 35+ I have to tend in the orchard of one of my clients...then the peach leaf curl and the pear slug...

Looks like scab to me. If that's the extent of it and this late in the year, it's actually pretty minor. The fruit looks healthy

That was my first impression.

Looks almost inconsequential if that's all you got going on it right now.

If you get the right combo of moisture and temps night or day and microbes grow short-term in the droplets, they basically do a mini version of dog pee spots in the lawn.

Here in Oregon, most apple orchards are east of us where the climate is slightly cooler and dryer, like Hood River.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was my first impression.

Looks almost inconsequential if that's all you got going on it right now.

If you get the right combo of moisture and temps night or day and microbes grow short-term in the droplets, they basically do a mini version of dog pee spots in the lawn.

Here in Oregon, most apple orchards are east of us where the climate is slightly cooler and dryer, like Hood River.

Agree, it's not very bad. I mainly want to know what it is. Probably the worst problem was worms.

Back