HOBBS mod

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh yeah the Masterhand was $16 bucks as Snap On would have been $60-80 for the one socket. Masterhand is Tractor Supply's brand and fit the Hobbs with no machining.
High dollar tools are a joy to use. Last year I bought Snap On ratchets to use with my Craftsman sockets and they are soooooo smooooth.

Haven't managed to get back to the mod, but my H2 seems to have an ID of around 2-3/4"
Am going to try to locate a smaller socket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok here is what I found in my tool box a Williams 3/4" drive 2" socket, OD is 2.682" Image.jpg
I hope it helps with your mod.

Hoping to use it this week on a big maple removal!
Am very grateful to the OP for posting this mod.
Winch bar slides over the end of the ratchet, so no shortage of torque.

We enjoyed the H2 "Flushcut Mod" yesterday on this leaning maple.
The socket / ratchet is just so nice and fast to use compared to the winch bar.

SAM_1301 hobbs lowering.jpg
SAM_1302 hobbs lowering.jpg

Thank you, Rajan!
The lads on the ground had previously only ever used a porty, so it was great having them able to pretension the lowering line effortlessly. Have a white pine to do soon with zero DZ, (structures, new septic bed, service lines) so it's gonna be more humane with the H2.

Hey that looks like a very effective mod to the hobbs. Great work! You can find those 3/4" ratchets often at fleamarkets for a reasonable price.
I just thought of another add on mod: drill a hole in the end of the ratchet and bolt a rod through. Then you have a right angle at the end

Awesome mod there, now you just need a porta pony (hand held pipe threader) and you would be set. Either that or a force multiplier for the socket, then you could probably use the right angle drill.

Back