HOBBS mod

flushcut

TreeHouser
Image 2.jpg Image 3.jpg
A 2 1/4" X 3/4" drive socket $16 at Tractor Supply held in place by three bolts also a $60 3/4" ratchet fits nicely into the winch bar.

Edit see post #20

That's sweet. Should be the right size to use the drill adaptor that Greg Good supplies for his GRCS, which I have.

I told Ken Johnson he should have made that mod over 15 years ago. It's so damn simple,, and superior to the old and original way of cranking the device. Good on ya, Rajan.

That's sweet. Should be the right size to use the drill adaptor that Greg Good supplies for his GRCS, which I have.

Without the gear reduction of the Harken, you will be relying solely on the torque of the drill. Will that be sufficiently strong enough to pull/lift very much?

I told Ken Johnson he should have made that mod over 15 years ago. It's so damn simple,, and superior to the old and original way of cranking the device. Good on ya, Rajan.

You and I both Jerry....although although my conversation was probably 10 years after yours. Still a great tool, regardless. And better late than never with that mod, good work :thumbup:

Now if you can just make it self tailing also, while you're on a roll....

You and I both Jerry....although although my conversation was probably 10 years after yours. Still a great tool, regardless. And better late than never with that mod, good work :thumbup:

It's not beyond that mod also, Reg. Although more change in design and engineering would be involved. Either way I hope Ken follows through. The Hobb's is great device, and tough!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I thought about a self tailer but with the ratchet cranking and holding the line is very easy. Today we hung four ash trees and all of the preloading was done by one person with little effort.

Thanks guys take the idea and run!

Thanks Butch. I really enjoy the site. A lot of great advice and people who are willing to offer it. I don't have a lot of time to keep up with everything but at least your site is not a bunch of guys in a pissing match wasting my time

Thanks Butch. I really enjoy the site. A lot of great advice and people who are willing to offer it. I don't have a lot of time to keep up with everything but at least your site is not a bunch of guys in a pissing match wasting my time

Ha!!! :drink:

One thing I should mention is I ground flat spots on the socket where the bolts come in contact. They helps keep it from slipping.

Without the gear reduction of the Harken, you will be relying solely on the torque of the drill. Will that be sufficiently strong enough to pull/lift very much?

No I don't think the drill would work at all well but that long bar on a ratchet should be good. Not as quick as a GRCS but still a great improvement. Well done.

Just out of curiosity, (having never seen a Hobbs, much less used one), for those of you who have used both, is there a situation where the Hobbs is better? Why would one buy a Hobbs now, over the GRCS?

The Hobbs is a beast for HEAVY work, great for pre tensioning lines and hanging whole trees. The GRCS is great for lifting and pulling all kinds of loads with the proper MA and with a drill quick take up of line. Neither one is a end all be all. IMO
Last week we used both the Hobbs and GRCS. The Hobbs hung the tree and the GRCS winched it out and we were able to lay the trees out horizontal without damaging the formal garden below the tree. Slick as could be.

Back