Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Magic Cut for vertical spars, etc

P.S. I'm not as young as my chipper. I'm 45 y.o., its 43 and hungry. I'm not nearly so hungry as when I started out. Now I eat what's served, barring another reception, knowing more food will be served. The chipper (KiKi, so dainty, the daughter of the previous owner) is a F-ing Glutton, addicted to wood.

Gotta go chunk down that spar today. The homeowner had therapy sessions all week at her home-office. I need to get some Finnish Sauna pics for inspiration.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

The maple logs in front we're set there by machine.
    The fir logs in the back, along with all but one trunk chunk, came down by 'Magic', all where there were supposed to land.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpeg-imag1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	91947

This log was wider than my 28" bar; I wasn't aiming for a precision hinge cut, so it was easy and fast to chase around.

This was the last cut from spurs. Wider near to far side, than left to right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190118_141649799_HDR.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	313.5 KB 
ID:	91948

I had my 42" bar, so I didn't need to double-cut the butt log.

I was in a hurry to get to school for picking up D. Magic Cut on the butt log put it right on the pile, as gravity and physics dictated, quick and easy.

Stig mentioned not misjudging the lean.

A lot of these 6-10' logs closed the kerf enough on the first cut that I had to pull the saw out in-line with the bar, as I couldn't get the bar out where it went in...
    Just like any other deep-first-snapcut kerf will close.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

You've got your bar on upside down.

Don't you know anything about chain saws.
    Deyr fÚ,
    deyja frŠndr,
    deyr sjalfr it sama,
    ek veit einn,
    at aldrei deyr:
    dˇmr um dau­an hvern.

I know enough to tighten the chain so it sings. Hard to throw the blade that way!

Both of you!
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."