Franklin Treefarmer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/_dhcnT1vPYw?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/_dhcnT1vPYw?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_dhcnT1vPYw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You don't release the winch and drop the choked up load.....you let it down smoothly not to fan the butts out.
I'm still amazed when I think what some of the partners I had could do with their skidders, smooth as silk and never wasted a movement.

I think we have worked in different timber. I know all about easing your hitch down easy. Ease it down while creeping forward. Lets it come down slow in that forward motion keeps the line from going slack. But not all wood holds together. Maybe uniform size spruce is more cooperative then im used to. Mismatched sized large hardwoods can be a headache. You drop your skid during slipbark and you are going to reel in empty chokers. I think it boils down different wood. Each market has its own unique challenges and methods.

Wow those are small trees.
:lol: you think that's small
From looking at that vid that snail paced machine isn't even setup with forestry screen, sure not a professional logging operation .
I'll show you hoe operators what production in softwood is........ with a Clark 666 and a Stihl 064 -18" b/c.
Limbed and topped piled at the landing for the roadside cut to length Tanguay slasher.

I think we have worked in different timber. I know all about easing your hitch down easy. Ease it down while creeping forward. Lets it come down slow in that forward motion keeps the line from going slack. But not all wood holds together. Maybe uniform size spruce is more cooperative then im used to. Mismatched sized large hardwoods can be a headache. You drop your skid during slipbark and you are going to reel in empty chokers. I think it boils down different wood. Each market has its own unique challenges and methods.
I'm just talking softwood [spruce, pine] limbed and topped production . We never logged or skidded hardwood.

Vice versa for me. Don't recall logging softwood. Wish I could have said I did, to round out my experience.

:lol: you think that's small
From looking at that vid that snail paced machine isn't even setup with forestry screen, sure not a professional logging operation .
I'll show you hoe operators what production in softwood is........ with a Clark 666 and a Stihl 064 -18" b/c.
Limbed and topped piled at the landing for the roadside cut to length Tanguay slasher.

You do realise you're coming across like an ass, right? I'm sure it's not intentional, as you seem like a nice guy. I've heard all the same comments from ex softwood skidder guys over here, all bitter because the machines took their jobs. I'd sure love to see you try and outperform that 'snail paced machine' with a Clarke and a chainsaw.

Edit: nothing in this industry gets sold without 12mm Margard Lexan screens. All my machines have them.

I'm an ex-softwood skidder guy, and I'm not bitter at all.
There are easier ways to make a living than killing toothpick size trees.
I get a bit bitter when they use harvesters on medium sized hardwoods, but that is mainly because the machines get away with doing such a piss poor job of limbing.
I hate it when manual loggers get held to one standard and the machines to a lesser one.
Then they tell us we can't keep up.

Not all ex softwood skidder guys are bitter. And agreed on the harvester / hardwood thing. They use them well for cutting small dia birch and suchlike for firewood, where it just wouldnt be economic to hand cut. But larger stuff is better hand cut. Particularly if youre cutting a valuable product.

John Henry, who challanged the steam pile driver to a battle. He won, but killed homself on the process

I thought is was a pile driver he was racing against too, but the vid says a steam drill. Also some legend confusion if swinging that nine pound hammer caused Joh Henry to die from his heart giving out, or a vessel popped in his brain.

I've hand cut, chased hand cutters with a skidder, chased Bell Ultra T's with a skidder, chased hot saws with a skidder, and chased Timbcos with Rolle II processor heads with a skidder, logged high grade, logged low grade, logged chipping wood, etc, and loved every f'in bit of it. Nothing beats working in the woods.

That wasn't a post to say ive done it all. it was a post that meant Ive loved what Ive been exposed to.

Mosquitos can take away some of the enjoyment during the hot wet months in some areas, when working from within a cab would be more enjoyable.

So can ground hornets. They're like half inch drill bits going into your skin and they WILL chase a man all the way to the landing or the place that he gives in and collapses.

I've had a bumblebee chase me 100+ yards before. I finally had to face him and slap fight him. He died.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen one of those since, and that was 20 years ago.

???

Bumblebees here seem very occupied with their own business, it's the big hornets that worry me...and the little hornets. The small suckers can job you three or four times before you can think to respond, and cause swelling like a balloon.

Back